Yosemite Bluetooth Wifi Problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkim3691, Mar 1, 2015.

1. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

This has been a known issue for it seems quite some time now. I use a K760 Logitech bluetooth keyboard with my mid 2014 rMBP and noticed that with the bluetooth and wifi on at the same time my speeds dip to as low as around 5mbps. Without it on, I can get at worst 15mbps. Usually my speeds are 25mbps without the bluetooth on and 15mpbs with the bluetooth on which I can for the most part deal with. However, when speeds dip, the internet becomes unusable with the bluetooth on.

I've researched a lot of "fixes" but nothing really seems definitive. Are users like me just waiting it out for a software update? This seems ridiculous.

2. MCSN macrumors regular

MCSN

i have logitech solar keyboard and connections are just annoying. how do you know the transfer speed? you run the system test? i love the solar keyboard, i use it and a trackpad. what really messed me up was that i had one of the keyboard connectors for the apple board and the trackpad. But if I lean the solar keyboard over the bar, it still holds it and the trackpad together. i notice when my batteries are low on the keyboard it will act up and cause all kinds of odd behaviors.

an update would be nice. any permanent fix would be nice. you are not alone.

3. jkim3691 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My keyboard works fine. It's just since it's connected to bluetooth it interferes with my Wifi signal and causes speeds to dip. Thinking about just getting a keyboard that takes the USB receiver for a quick fix but I'd rather not.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Have you tried disabling Handoff?

That facility creates the extra BT traffic (compared to pre-Yosemite), which would appear to give rise to the additional BT<->WiFi interference.

I think this accounts for why Yosemite WiFi seems to be ok on non-Handoff-capable MBPs...

5. jkim3691 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I turned Handoff off. It's a matter of bluetooth being on. Like I said, with it on I lose about 10mbps versus when I have it off.

6. FumbleDuck macrumors member

The only thing that fixed it for me was buying a new router that had a 5GHz band. Whenever I downloaded something, my mouse would become unusable. Also when using the Bluetooth mouse, my wifi speeds dropped dramatically (Bluetooth and Wifi occupy the same, or similar, frequency).
    By not using 2.4GHz wifi and switching to 5GHz, all my issues have gone away.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Bluetooth interferes with the 2.4GHz band so makes sense.

8. shoehornhands macrumors regular

I have a similar issue with the latest MacBook Air.

Whenever network traffic picks up over the wireless (~2 MBps download for example), my Bluetooth mouse becomes almost entirely unusable (very jittery cursor movement, skips all over the place, huge input lag).

Really not sure what the deal is but whatever causes the issue affects the MacBook Air as well.

9. adamhenry, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

As stated above, 802.11b,g and n wireless and bluetooth all operate on the 2.4GHz band. Interference between bluetooth and some wireless is easy to understand.