yosemite bootable dvd-r DL, what am i doing wrong?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by sundog925, Oct 16, 2014.

1. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

burned a DVDR-DL disc with the installESD.dmg file after i right clicked on 'show package contents' on the Yosemite installer.
    burn finished.
    restarted comp holding down option key and couldn't boot from cd i just burned.

did i miss a step? frustrated i may have wasted a DL DVDR.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's possible that Apple has removed support for booting 10.10 from optical media.

3. tywebb13, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Not really. But don't just burn the InstallESD.dmg to the dvd. That won't work (as sundog925 found out the hard way).

Do it this way instead.

After downloading the full Yosemite installer app from the Mac App Store, run these 14 commands in Terminal to create a Yosemite.iso file and then burn it to a dual layer DVD with Disk Utility. You may then boot up from it by holding the option key down and then install Yosemite.

hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

hdiutil convert /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -format UDSP -o /tmp/Yosemite

hdiutil resize -size 8g /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage

hdiutil attach /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

rm /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/Packages

cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/

cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/install_build

cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/install_build

hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app

hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_build

hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage

hdiutil convert /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/Yosemite

rm /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage

mv /tmp/Yosemite.cdr ~/Desktop/Yosemite.iso

------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: sundog925's quote below contains an error which I can't edit out. Use instructions in this post, not that quoted one.

4. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

this is for the one released today right, not the BETA? I have Beta 5 on it now.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

6. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Yes. It should work for today's version.

I had to edit my post before and you were very quick to quote me.

----------

No need.

There is a better way for that here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1801963

7. 3282868 macrumors 603

Worked like a charm! Thanks so much! My USB 3 drive crapped out on my this morning, thankfully I have an external Blu-Ray USB 3 drive hooked up to my nMac Pro, hopefully this will install via DVD. :)

8. tywebb13, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Note that unlike the mavericks dvd made with very similar commands, the yosemite dvd DOES create a recovery partition.

However more often than not, the installer creates core storage logical volumes and it needs to be reverted for the recovery partition to show up in the startup manager you get when starting up with the option key.

You can revert it to get partitions back to normal by running these 2 commands in terminal.

diskutil cs list

and then

diskutil coreStorage revert lvUUID

where lvUUID is the last lvUUID reported by the previous Terminal command.

Then restart for everything to get back to normal after you have run these commands in Terminal.

9. Stridder44, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

For whatever reason, Terminal seems to lock up at this step :confused:

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it just takes a little bit to complete. As someone with an old early '08 MBP whose optical drive has long since died/been replaced, THANK YOU!

10. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Yes. You have to wait a bit for it to move stuff sometimes.

Beware too that a dvd will take much longer than a usb to boot up.

If you prefer it to boot up faster, maybe making a bootable usb will be better.

I put instructions for the usb here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1801963