Yosemite disk needs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dorimax, Mar 9, 2015.

1. dorimax macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

in my macbook pro 15 "mid 2010 I put a 60gb ssd from I proceeded to install from 0, via internet, Yosemite.
    Mac is fast and there I am fine.
    At the end of the 'installation, I put a couple of programs (Skype and qfinder for nas), I wanted to make a virtual machine, but I find myself with 40Gb of space.
    Possible only for the OS?
    The time machine is configured to back up remotely on the NAS where I exposed the service time machine.
    No download, empty basket, no mp3 or movie.
    I am new to the mac world and wanted to know where I can go if possible to clean the disc.

Thank You

maximum

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Sounds normal. 60GB is a tiny SSD, you will have to run any serious volume of media and documents from an external drive.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yosemite includes....

........iMovie, Garage band, iPhoto, pages, keynote, numbers, itunes, safari, photobooth etc etc etc

That is a fairly serious software suite when you include the OS to only take up 20gb.

4. dorimax thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply, I guess 60gb are few .
    more than 30 gb of space for the OS only seem so many, in fact in many forums talking about 10- 15 gb

http: //www.reddit.co...ks_or_yosemite/

And here we come to the strangeness.
    If I see the properties of the disk by Disk Utility or if I select properties from the computer I get two different results.
    The first tells me that I have used even 41gb, 12gb in the second, which would be in line from what I read about.

[​IMG]

5. dorimax thread starter macrumors newbie

Reset of PRAM and permissions and nothing is changed.

6. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Open Terminal, then:

sudo tmutil disablelocal

That will turn off local time machine snapshots. That's the cause of the size discrepancy. With only a 60GB disk, you should disable those time machine snapshots. The trade off of doing so is that you will need to make sure you backup to your external time machine backup disk sooner rather than later.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I love your wallpaper :)

I'm not sure of the differences, did you turn off local snapshots for TM (sudo tmutil disable local)?

I'd either download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

If you run it with sudo (As shown below), it will include some system files that it woud not normally have access to scan. That is a more accurate representation of what's consuming your drive.
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper
    Another option is to use this terminal command
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

I prefer to redirect it to a text file (this puts it in your Documents folder
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g / > ~/Documents/du.txt

Like the sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper command, it will scan all directories, but produce a text file as opposed to showing the results in a window

That will give you a listing of what's on your drive.

I do think 60GB is too small for the OS, and day to day operation. I wonder if its not your local snapshots if its swap space that is being counted in one app and not the other.

8. dorimax thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Duervo.
    sudo tmutil disablelocal Working like a charm.
    The Nas that guest the time machine backup has a backup every night at 00.00.
    Thank you very much...