Yosemite does not work with BT NetProtect Plus (McAfee free for BT Broadband)

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by mannylondon57, Oct 20, 2014.

1. mannylondon57 macrumors newbie

Just to let all know, as reported on osxdaily, I had similar problem...a weekend nightmare of trying to install Yosemite. After 2 clean installs, I figured out Yosemite just doesn't work (get beach ball on restart/login) with BT Net Protect Plus (McAfee free for BT Broadband customers). I thought Yoesmite was a pile of c**p...turns out it's the mcAfee. Wish someone told us!.

So, if you have installed Yosemite or are trying to, uninstall McAfree using the uninstaller and you will be fine. Horrible nightmare.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not uncommon for some apps not to work well with a newly released OS version. Developers need some time to update their apps and work out bugs before it's reasonable to expect them to work well with a new OS.

Having said that, you don't need apps like McAfee as long as you practice safe computing.

3. mannylondon57 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Never going to install McAfee again as I don't actually need it. Though surely they should be testing it when OS was in beta to warn customers

4. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

Never ever ever load McAfree on your mac. Piece of bloatware

If you feel you must have anti-virus, maybe look at ClamAV or something. More important to use things like no script and disconnect on browsers, really, for security

5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

McAfee is totally unnecessary on a Mac anyway.

----------

Agreed. Personally I don't have an AV on my Mac.

6. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi