Yosemite Dual Boot

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by robkat, Aug 5, 2014.

1. robkat macrumors member

robkat

Partitioned my hard drive and loaded Yosemite on new partition. When booting with option key held, Mavericks no longer an option. Can someone suggest what I have done wrong please.:confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Open up the Disk Utility to see how many partitions are showing up. Do you see the Mavericks partition?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Command-r boot to recovery and from there click the Apple at the top left then select Startup Disk and choose the Mavs partition then restart. From then on you should be able to see both when you option key boot.

4. robkat thread starter macrumors member

robkat

Thanks for the replies. Disc utilities shows both partitions but only boots to Yosemite. Will try the command r boot and see what happens. cheers

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did the recovery method work?

There were other threads about how Yosemite messed with other partitions, I wonder if this is the case here.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I got in the public beta and had planned to install Yosemite on an external drive just to learn about it, but all these reports of messing with partitions has scared me off of doing this with my only Mac.

7. robkat thread starter macrumors member

robkat

I now have Yosemite Beta working on an external drive. just use command-r on start up to chose OS.