Yosemite dual display problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by imawt, Mar 27, 2015.

1. imawt macrumors newbie

I just upgraded my 2.6 i7 16GB 1TB fusion drive Mac Mini to Yosemite and now the two displays (Dell monitor & Sanyo Projector) have switched roles. If I do not have the Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter plugged in there is no problem. However, with it plugged in and the Dell monitor plugged in with the Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter the primary screen is the projector no matter what I do. Got any suggestions or keystrokes that will get things the way they were with Mavericks?
    I use the Dell monitor as the primary with Keynote or PowerPoint or Pro-Presenter being displayed via the Sanyo projector.

2. capuzino macrumors regular

1. Go to System Preferences
    2. Choose Displays
    3. Open the Arrangement tab
    4. Click the blue boxes to identify which is which monitor
    5. Drag the white bar and drop it on the monitor/blue box you want to work as your primary display

3. imawt thread starter macrumors newbie

Yosemite dual display problem

Thanks for the reply, but I've already done that and even though the menu bar is on the Dell when the mini powers up from being turned off the default turns out to be the Sanyo Projector not the Dell monitor. Once I unplug the projector the Dell takes over and if I then plug in the projector everything functions fine. If I restart it is still fine. Only when I start up from the mini being shut down do I have the problem.
    Any other suggestions?

4. capuzino macrumors regular

Eh, okay. If it worked right on Mavericks, then the only suggestion I can think of is reset NVRAM and SMC.

Or if you have a chance to connect both displays via adapters, try that first.

Had a similar problem once with a Windows PC and the easiest way to solve it was to connect both displays with adapter. Macs work somewhat differently, but still I can't see why it couldn't help here too.