Yosemite [File system verify or repair failed]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HamzaAlsadr, Jun 4, 2015.

1. HamzaAlsadr, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

HamzaAlsadr macrumors newbie

Laptop Specs:
    Macbook Pro (Late 2011) 15"
    System version: 10.9.5
    Memory: 4GB
    Drive: SATA 750 GB
    Used: 678 GB

After I downloaded Yosemite and tried to install it, it stopped mid way and said "File system verify or repair failed.

I could not exit the installation and boot back to Mavericks.

My one limitation is (and please don't bash me because I already feel miserable for it) is that I don't have any backup, time machine, etc.

Here's what I tried:
    1) Verify / Repair disk
    It says "could not mount disk" and stops the process.

2) Start Up disk
    I try to select my drive but says "You can't change the start up disk to the selected disk, Could not gather enough information"

3) Restart and go into recovery mode and do step 1 but still no avail.

4) Try to drag drop copy/paste from "Select Image to Attach"
    I thought I could get lucky and just copy my files from the hard drive through that option, but when I drag the user folder, there's no "+" in green and doesn't let me copy it.

5) Restart and go into recovery mode to create a Mirror of my user files in my hard disk into an external 1TB hard disk.
    Left it for 14 hours but when I went back to it, it had only moved about 10% in process.

6) Connected thunderbolt from my MacBook to my iMac for TDM
    The icon shows up on the target however the Disk won't show up on the host

Please help me out and advise me what routes I could take from here on.

I have all my working files, my life, and literally everything that I've achieved in this laptop and I could not afford losing it, at all .

Thank you and highly appreciate it. I AM aware there are similar threads but they have different issues.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If #5 and #6 won't give you access to the drive for copying files, I'd say you better prepare yourself for a critical data loss. The only other thing I can think of is creating an external boot disk for the sake of having a more robust troubleshooting environment than what the recovery mode offers. You could consider third party utilities to recover the files. And depending on the value of your data, you may want to start looking up data recovery services.

3. Jozone macrumors 6502