Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pyrone89

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Hey guys,

As you can see by the topics on the Apple Support forums (added below), there is a bug that causes the Notification settings to be reset after every restart or login

I would like to hear if there are also people here with that problem and if anyone has already figured out a solution.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6605975

https://discussions.apple.com/message/26851563#26851563

https://discussions.apple.com/message/26857242#26857242

https://discussions.apple.com/message/26863504#26863504

Pyrone89

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
For now there seems to be no fix. I have tried deleting preference lists, but that didn't work.

Will try the nuclear option: clean install

frenetic

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
Same problem here, too. Not sure what's causing this, But I don't feel like doing a clean install, since too many settings that have to be redone....

bahamas1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I found this on Discussions Apple and it worked for me:

Here are the instructions I got from AppleCare from an Apple Engineer. I'm not sure if the fix was specifically for my machine or if it'll work for someone else. Follow at your own risk.

1. Open the Library folder in your Home folder.
2. In the Library folder, open the Application Support folder.
3. Locate the folder named NotificationCenter. Drag this folder to the desktop.
4. Next, open the Terminal application.

Copy and paste each line of these commands into the Terminal window, in order. Press return after each line:

cd `getconf DARWIN_USER_DIR`
rm -rf com.apple.notificationcenter
killall usernoted; killall NotificationCenter

5. Close the Terminal app.
6. Restart your computer.

The notification preference changes won't stick until you restart a 2nd time after this.

frenetic

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
Thank you Bahamas1 for posting this! I just tried it and it after second restart the notification settings have stuck. I will let you know if the problem resurges, but at this moment it seems to have worked.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Unfortunately this did not work for me inclusive of the double reboot...are any of you who were able to get this to work using a Mid-2012 MBA which is what I am using...thx..

gnylund

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Didn't work for me either. I suspect partly because I didn't have a "NotificationCenter" folder anywhere. I tried the rest of the steps but none of that panned out.

Reactions: aylk

Kirby Krieger

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
Worked for me. Thx.

Worked for me. Thx. :)

Followed directions. Logged in after first reboot, then rebooted again.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
there is no "NotificationCenter" folder in my library... :confused:

Interestingly, this procedure worked for me, which is great, but I no longer have a NotificationCenter folder in my App Support folder. Not sure why. But it's working now, at least.

BFBoston

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2014
It worked after 3 restarts

Thanks for the tip @bahamas1. I'm not a Terminal kind of guy, but it worked for me—just took 3 restarts for Notification Center to update my Mail preferences.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Thanks for the tip @bahamas1. I'm not a Terminal kind of guy, but it worked for me—just took 3 restarts for Notification Center to update my Mail preferences.

At the risk of asking a naïve question [because I tried this and it did not work for me] can someone for whom this worked please add to the description as I am confused as to how to reset the notification settings.

I tried the process and after rebooting twice I reset the notification settings to what I wanted...is this incorrect...should I just keep rebooting until I end up with the notification settings I had [and wanted] before I started the process.

Thanks.

mwills

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2016
I found this on Discussions Apple and it worked for me:

Created a MacRumors account to thank you! I had seen _most_ but not all of the discussions regarding this but this was new. And it worked. Thanks much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.