Yosemite hotspot with iPhone - free tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

Just to be clear, with the hotspot option in Yosemite, there is now free tethering between the iPhone and a Macbook? How come the phone carriers aren't raging like they did when iTether was released?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It will probably only be allowed if your carrier permits it. If its not allowed by carrier you may not be able too.

3. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

Don't the new "Shared Data" plans all allow tethering? I know my AT&T plan does, though I think a Macbook would burn through data like crazy.

4. 617aircav Suspended

Are you sure it's tethering and not just a limited connection.

5. 869639 macrumors 6502

Will only work if your carrier/network allows tethering to begin with, do not expect hotspot to magically start working now that the new OSX makes the connection automatically....you are still limited by your Carrier/Network.

This is and has been confirmed 100%

6. 576316 macrumors 601

No. Tethering will need to be included in your phone contract in order to use this feature. It just makes tethering faster and easier if you already use it.

7. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

wifi yes, free. but outside wifi, you would need data to tether..

here's the way I look at it. basically what's going on is you're idevices, MacBook and iPad.. are tapping into the internet connection of your phone. Hence if you're on wifi, you can use wifi calling via internet.

if you're outside wifi, you would need a connection, LTE etc, to use this feature. The only way to do that is by tethering via your phone/data plan.

8. 617aircav Suspended

This makes sense.

9. cynics macrumors G4

It's just a quick and convenient way to tether like it's done now just without all the setup.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot