Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

y0semite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Edit: I haven't got this to completely work yet, but it is a good starting point. Keep watching the USB installer thread for ideas. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740384/

You can run Yosemite in Virtualbox, here's how.

1. Download Yosemite from app store
  2. run "gem install iesd"
  3. run "iesd -i /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.10\ Developer\ Preview.app -o yosemite.dmg -t BaseSystem"
  4. add yosemite.dmg as a live cd in virtualbox
  5. change the chipset to PIIX3

Once you boot up into the installer you will have to format the drive.

Let me know how it works :)

Last edited:

y0semite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
I can't get the HD showing up as an install option

I can't get past the install screen, but to get the HD to show you have to open disk utility (in the installer) and format the drive as mac os extended journaled.

stimz

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
It starts to load up the installer but can't find bluetooth so it stalls at "still waiting for root device". Any thoughts?

lottscarson

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Salt Lake City
Edit: I haven't got this to completely work yet, but it is a good starting point. Keep watching the USB installer thread for ideas. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740384/

You can run Yosemite in Virtualbox, here's how.

1. Download Yosemite from app store
  2. run "gem install iesd"
  3. run "iesd -i /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.10\ Developer\ Preview.app -o yosemite.dmg -t BaseSystem"
  4. add yosemite.dmg as a live cd in virtualbox
  5. change the chipset to PIIX3

Once you boot up into the installer you will have to format the drive.

Let me know how it works :)

Ok, I managed to get this working. A couple of necessary files weren't making it onto yosemite.dmg, so after running the iesd command, do this:

1. Run "hdiutil convert yosemite.dmg -format UDSP -o yosemite.sparseimage"
  2. Run "hdiutil mount /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.10\ Developer\ Preview.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg"
  3. Run "hdiutil mount yosemite.sparseimage"
  4. Run "cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.* /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/"
  5. Run "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/"
  6. Run "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/"
  7. Run "hdiutil convert yosemite.sparseimage -format UDZO -o yosemitefixed.dmg"
  8. Add yosemitefixed.dmg as a live cd in virtual box
  9. Change the chipset to PIIX3
  10. Start the VM, open disk utility within the installer and create a new HFS+ partition on the virtual disk
  11. Install it!
  12. After installing, remove yosemitefixed.dmg from the virtual drive in virtualbox

Last edited:

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I've got it running by simply cloning my 10.9 VM and upgrading it. However it seems to be running extremely slow inside the VM. Anyone else experiencing this?

lottscarson

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Salt Lake City
I've got it running by simply cloning my 10.9 VM and upgrading it. However it seems to be running extremely slow inside the VM. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yep, slow as all hell. I tried upping the vram, enabling graphics acceleration, bumping up the system ram, using 2 processors... nothing really seemed to improve it.

Jesseee

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Ok, I managed to get this working. A couple of necessary files weren't making it onto yosemite.dmg, so after running the iesd command, do this:

1. Run "hdiutil convert yosemite.dmg -format UDSP -o yosemite.sparseimage"
  2. Run "hdiutil mount /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.10\ Developer\ Preview.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg"
  3. Run "hdiutil mount yosemite.sparseimage"
  4. Run "cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.* /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/"
  5. Run "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/"
  6. Run "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/"
  7. Run "hdiutil convert yosemite.sparseimage -format UDZO -o yosemitefixed.dmg"
  8. Add yosemitefixed.dmg as a live cd in virtual box
  9. Change the chipset to PIIX3
  10. Start the VM, open disk utility within the installer and create a new HFS+ partition on the virtual disk
  11. Install it!
  12. After installing, remove yosemitefixed.dmg from the virtual drive in virtualbox

Could you possibly be kind enough to put "yosemitefixed.dmg" up for download?

SHX

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Thank You.

unmount gave me some trouble, but ejecting the images from disk utility helped.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Hmm, no good so far for me. The installer boots and attempts to install, but eventually encounters an error:

OS X could not be installed on your computer
An error occurred while extracting files from the package "Essentials.pkg".
Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

I also noticed a ton of error messages during bootup - stuff like "Error: 107: malformed bundle" and many others. Don't know if that's normal for the installer.

In the VirtualBox VM settings, I did do a few things that aren't mentioned above:
  • Used HDD (Parallels format) for the hard drive file; wondering if it might actually boot in Parallels once installed.
  • System memory 4 GB
  • Turned on 3D acceleration
  • Bumped video memory to the max 128 MB

This is the latest version of VirtualBox - 4.3.12 r93733.

I may retry with the above set to defaults later when I get time...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 7.34.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 7.34.54 AM.png
    354.6 KB · Views: 1,505
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 7.36.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 7.36.01 AM.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,899

lottscarson

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Salt Lake City
Hmm, no good so far for me. The installer boots and attempts to install, but eventually encounters an error:

I also noticed a ton of error messages during bootup - stuff like "Error: 107: malformed bundle" and many others. Don't know if that's normal for the installer.

In the VirtualBox VM settings, I did do a few things that aren't mentioned above:
  • Used HDD (Parallels format) for the hard drive file; wondering if it might actually boot in Parallels once installed.
  • System memory 4 GB
  • Turned on 3D acceleration
  • Bumped video memory to the max 128 MB

This is the latest version of VirtualBox - 4.3.12 r93733.

I may retry with the above set to defaults later when I get time...

Yeah, I noticed a ton of errors (including those malformed bundle errors) during bootup, too. The installer finished just fine for me, though. Not that it did me much good, given that the VM runs so slowly... It's pretty much unusable for anything other than poking around to look at the new features. I bumped up the memory to 4GB, gave the CPU 2 cores, bumped up the video memory and turned on 3D acceleration, but none of that seemed to help much.

I also attempted to import the VM into Parallels, but that failed pretty quickly :p

Reactions: florin.afilipoaei

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Hmm, no good so far for me. The installer boots and attempts to install, but eventually encounters an error...

I haven't made any more attempts yet, but one other thing that occurs to me is that I'm still on Mountain Lion. Ideally, the VM would just do its thing and work with any host or guest OS, but maybe that makes a difference too.

igorleandro

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Edit: After many tries, all I get is stuck on "Waiting for DSMOS...". Have no idea how you guys managed to get this going.

Last edited:

the_webmaestro

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Laguna Beach
FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.

I've followed the instructions, but I get this error:

FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.

I've tried re-creating the Hard Drive in .VDI & .HDD formats. I've also tried going without a hard disk, and also by removing then re-adding the yosemitefixed.dmg file.

Any ideas?

MacPro2006VBox

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
if you all would like to know how to set it up...

go to ***** and download the DP2 from the OS X betas and use Firefox to DownLoad it (unless you all have a copy of it already, but not in any disk image format yet) follow this guide in the link to create an ISO of it. and what i did was create a new VM as normal but selected Mac OS X 64 bit and didn't change anything, mounted the image, followed the steps to set it up, and i now have a working Yosemite VM. hope this helped!:apple::)
http://pastebin.com/6pWGSB5b

Last edited:

jtkboston

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
crash trying to boot installer

I'm trying this method to boot a Yosemite install image in VBox 4.3.18 r96516
It gets into a boot/panic/reboot loop, never bringing up a GUI or installer.

The panic is a kernel trap/page fault, the stack is a bit hard to make out from the image but looks like several stack frames in com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin and com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginLegacy.

Any clue why it's failing?
Host hardware is Mac mini, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM,
OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    51 KB · Views: 973

jtkboston

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
Host hardware is Mac mini, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM,
This may be the problem. A thread on virtualbox.org (topic 62768: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62768) suggests that this variant of the Intel CPU fails on this model Mac mini, but works on Late-2012 model.
I'm actually seeing this failure before the panic:
Code:
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.