Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Wow all the features of Yosemite has made me excited for OSX! Love the doc. iCloud drive (bye bye Dropbox) and all other features. Who else is in this club? LOVEEEEE IT!!!!! AirDrop for both iOS and Mac? Oh man. Don't get me started. This is the first time in a while that I've been excited for OSX. Nice work Apple.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks nice but I think it really makes a lot of sense for those people are completely in the apple ecosystem, i.e., Macs, iPads and iPhones. Those that don't use an iPhone will not receive the same level of features.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Looks nice but I think it really makes a lot of sense for those people are completely in the apple ecosystem, i.e., Macs, iPads and iPhones. Those that don't use an iPhone will not receive the same level of features.
Yep, not so attractive in our household with two Macs (which might be logged into any one of four user accounts) and 75% iOS7 adoption (which I suspect might soon be down to 25% iOS8 adoption, on account of age).

If everyone has their own Mac, own iPad and own iPhone it'll be lovely.

The any-moment-now announcement of multiple user accounts on iOS8 iPads will lessen the problem, of course...

OrangeCrush980

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
This is terrible. It's like Mac OS X suffered a heart attack just a few years ago (Lion), and just as it was starting to regain some of its former strength (Mavericks), it has another heart attack (Yosemite) that will cripple it for good.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Yosemite looks like a giant leap for OS X. I love the announcements made and cannot wait to get it installed on my hardware!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Looks fantastic. I haven't seen such rave reviews since Snow Leopard.

----------

Agreed. I might have to make the switch back :(

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The looks are okay from what I saw (I missed the 1st part, I'll have to watch the thing over when it's up).

I'm more interested in stability than feature/UI additions. For me I'd rather have Iron Mavericks. Fix all the little things, rather than starting with a new release again.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'm happy I don't need to use Dropbox anymore

Did anyone catch if they mentioned if iCloud drive will be accessible on iCloud.com? Also, did they mention anything about storage/price? Is it the same as photos (5 GB free, .99/month for 20GB).

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.

You know what you're right. I realized a lot of the features are for people that are quite embedded in the iOS platform. Perhaps having a Mac will be an entry for people into the iOS world?

----------

Did anyone catch if they mentioned if iCloud drive will be accessible on iCloud.com? Also, did they mention anything about storage/price? Is it the same as photos (5 GB free, .99/month for 20GB).

I believe so. You're pricing is correct but I'm not sure if that's only for Photos or just iCloud drive overall.

mystic man

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2009
Athens, Greece
Amazing stuff, Mail Drop, continuity, sms and phone calls from macs, markup, AirDrop between iOS and OSX, simplified interrogation of apps on iOS, loved the new photos, it is basically a simplified Lightroom, with auto correction just for Light and Color, so many stuff, and a deep investment on Devs and making it easier for them to compile. Its a new Dawn for Apple. So excited Apple is paying attention again on its software

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I am very happy about improvements to Spotlight. What they show let me to believe that Spotlight will now get proper plugin support (which is HUGE). I also hope that OS X 10.10 will support the Metal API. The iOS connectivity is absolutely incredible (I say this as a techie), but I understand that people without iPhones might not be as impressed. The improvements to JavaScript JIT are amazing - Safari is already quite fast and further increasing its performance is a great feat of engineering, which will also allow more advanced applications in the future.

Overall, seems like a solid release which aims to streamline and improve the user experience. Can't wait for the dev website to go back online :)

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
There is a dedicated "Yosemite Moaning" thread right here. Discussing the UI is not discussing a feature really. Its a take it or leave-it sort of thing, I suppose!

This is terrible. It's like Mac OS X suffered a heart attack just a few years ago (Lion), and just as it was starting to regain some of its former strength (Mavericks), it has another heart attack (Yosemite) that will cripple it for good.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
You mean Google Drive. But, iCloud Drive is nothing without live collaboration. I'll stick with google.

To the other guy: No its not a rip off of Google Drive, iCloud Drive is an upgrade of iDisk which was released way before Google Drive, i think in 2000 or something.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012

Yep. Every time some Apple bigshot decides to unify iOS and OS X it takes years to undo the damage.

Case in point: still no improvements to Mission Control! Why?

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Yep. Every time some Apple bigshot decides to unify iOS and OS X it takes years to undo the damage.

Case in point: still no improvements to Mission Control! Why?

Don't have a Mac, but am planning to get one this year. Just out of curiosity what's the problem with Mission Control? Laggy/unresponsive?

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013

Wait, what? I think the new UI looks really good, also brings along some very nice continuity features. Mavericks improved stuff under the hood and now we have Yosemite bringing in a slick new UI which I feel was done just right.

Every single update I've seen Apple do I always see a minority complain, moan, whine that it's bad and only causes problems etc. iOS 7 got off to a rocky start but after 7.1 it's perfect. Mavericks has been nothing short of spectacular for me. iOS 8 and Yosemite are shaping up to be great additions.
No one is forcing you to upgrade.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
It looks good, but unfortunately I'm on an Android device right now and won't upgrade until March of 2015 so all those nice continuity features won't be available for me on my Mac. Apple really is doing a great job of trying to tempt me back in to their ecosystem though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.