Yosemite Install Times?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by tliede20, Jul 24, 2014.

1. tliede20 macrumors regular

I'm still waiting on my files to finish downloading before I put it on a partition, but I'm curious how long installs lasted for people; I know several threads talk about people hitting snags about 5 minutes remaining! Let me know how long it took you guys!

My IT guy was freaking btw, he couldn't figure out why Mavericks was taking forever to install too; till he remembered the beta release was today! :p

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Maybe half an hour on my SSD. It's hard to estimate because sometimes it would jump around. After it restarted once it said "seven minutes remaining" but it actually took a minute.

3. SanFran95, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

SanFran95 macrumors member

SanFran95

2 hours or so - in my case that was fast (for 5 GB) on my Internet connection-speed. Usually it takes hours to download an HD movie :D

Edit: Oops thought you meant download time. Well, my install time - 15 min. on SSD

4. GoldenChild macrumors regular

GoldenChild

I couldnt tell you, mine is stuck on "waiting" then i get an error...

5. DarkCole macrumors regular

DarkCole

When the install started I think about 18 minutes all together.

6. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Download and install times are going to vary widely depending on your connection speed and hardware.

Developer Previews/Betas often require quite a bit of patience.

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

No idea, I was sleeping while I was installing the beta! It was around 3am here.

8. delta77thegreat macrumors member

My download time was approx. 30 minutes, and an additional install time of ~20 mins more. No problems encountered during installation.

This is coming from a 2007 iMac which is the minimum for Yosemite, so I personally think it should be too bad. Your mileage may vary...

9. tliede20 thread starter macrumors regular

Download Time

Mine took around the same; I was surprised; the install said 12 minutes initially and I was like ugh? In my dreams maybe! :eek:

10. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

Download time was 10 minutes, install time was close to 70 minutes (regular HDD, no SSD here...), with most of it stuck at 22 minutes or less than a minute.

11. JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

Download time was about 13 minutes, install around 35.

12. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

My installed crashed with 5 minutes to go, I had to start again, then I selected Australian keyboard layout and it wouldn't recognise my keyboard layout... I had to start again, then I booted it and it took me to the setup assistant and on the third time it worked.

What should have been a 12 minute install ended up being a half hour ordeal.

13. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Mine took about 45 minutes installing over Mavericks on my only mac, that is my main computer.

I know I am being bold and looking for trouble, but I made a Mavericks backup before I installed, and Apple is giving instructions on how to downgrade on the Beta Program portal, so if something goes wrong, its not that bad.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I made a USB installer and then installed it to an external USB 3 SSD. From start to finish it took about 3 hours total, which included transferring all my stuff from the internal SSD Mavericks install to the Yosemite drive.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A clean install took about 40 minutes on my 2011 MBP with HDD.

16. ycrepeau macrumors newbie

5 hours so far....

Checking the log file, I discovered that the size of /usr/local (the # of files) has a huge impact on the real time required to finish the installation.

If you use Homebrew to install packages like Latex, PostgreSQL or rvm (ruby version manager) or if you have added a lot of gems to your Ruby on Rails projects, the /usr/local will contain a lot of very small files (about 1.3 million in my case). The installation process copy these file one by one (it should use tar to improve the speed of the copy)

So, I expect to complete the installation in 40 hours. (that is about the time required for a complete Time Machine backup)!!!!