Yosemite Installing Question on 2010 MBP ?

augustya

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Can someone please tell me if I were to install the Yosemite OS on a 2010 MacBook Pro which is a Core 2 Duo machine with 4GB RAM and Mac OS X v10.6 "Snow Leopard" OS if I upgrade it to Yosemite how will be the performance ? will it be slow ? Will the machine hang or run slow and stutter? Ideally I don't wanna upgrade but might have to do it to have APPS compatability for recent APPS.

Last edited:

ToyTrains

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2015
It's worth a shot. I just put a clean install of Yosemite on my mid-2010 model, but it is the i7. Happy with it so far.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Can someone please tell me if I were to install the Yosemite OS on a 2010 MacBook Pro which is a Core 2 Duo machine with 4GB RAM and Mac OS X v10.6 "Snow Leopard" OS if I upgrade it to Yosemite how will be the performance ? will it be slow ? Will the machine hang or run slow and stutter? Ideally I don't wanna upgrade but might have to do it to have APPS compatability for recent APPS.
I wouldn't, it's okay fast but, with snow leopard it runs smooth, keep in mind you won't be able to downgrade back I believe. Some things just lag. I wold recommend that you upgrade to Mavericks or mountain lion. Yosemite has to many animations and it just interferes with the computer.

That's why I sold mine with the exact same spec's. And bought a mid 2012 MacBook Pro retina used 2.6ghz and 8gh ram, 512GB

augustya

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I wouldn't, it's okay fast but, with snow leopard it runs smooth, keep in mind you won't be able to downgrade back I believe. Some things just lag. I wold recommend that you upgrade to Mavericks or mountain lion. Yosemite has to many animations and it just interferes with the computer.
So my next question than would be if I don't upgrade to Yosemite, will all the Mac APP work if I were to keep using "Snow Leopard"

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
So my next question than would be if I don't upgrade to Yosemite, will all the Mac APP work if I were to keep using "Snow Leopard"
Newer versions of pages, numbers and keynote need 10.10
Some components of the current Microsoft office (new Outlook)
and many other applications will not work with older OSs

I did not find Yosemite very usable on the machine you have, with GPU panics and crashes, which can not be duplicated since downgrading to Mavericks, which I think is your best option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.