Yosemite Installing Question on 2010 MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augustya, May 29, 2015.

1. augustya, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015

augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Can someone please tell me if I were to install the Yosemite OS on a 2010 MacBook Pro which is a Core 2 Duo machine with 4GB RAM and Mac OS X v10.6 "Snow Leopard" OS if I upgrade it to Yosemite how will be the performance ? will it be slow ? Will the machine hang or run slow and stutter? Ideally I don't wanna upgrade but might have to do it to have APPS compatability for recent APPS.

2. ToyTrains macrumors newbie

It's worth a shot. I just put a clean install of Yosemite on my mid-2010 model, but it is the i7. Happy with it so far.

3. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

That's not an acronym BTW.

4. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I wouldn't, it's okay fast but, with snow leopard it runs smooth, keep in mind you won't be able to downgrade back I believe. Some things just lag. I wold recommend that you upgrade to Mavericks or mountain lion. Yosemite has to many animations and it just interferes with the computer.

That's why I sold mine with the exact same spec's. And bought a mid 2012 MacBook Pro retina used 2.6ghz and 8gh ram, 512GB

5. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

So my next question than would be if I don't upgrade to Yosemite, will all the Mac APP work if I were to keep using "Snow Leopard"

6. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Newer versions of pages, numbers and keynote need 10.10
    Some components of the current Microsoft office (new Outlook)
    and many other applications will not work with older OSs

I did not find Yosemite very usable on the machine you have, with GPU panics and crashes, which can not be duplicated since downgrading to Mavericks, which I think is your best option.