Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hortibuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
Canada
Just to let you know Yosemite is not compatible with android phones. Before upgrading I was sending a lot of files and pictures to my Mac via Samsung Galaxy Note 3. After upgrading I've tried many times to set up my android under Bluetooth Preferences...even shutting off both laptop and phone. Message will show "connected" then after a minute will "not connected". My mouse works. Today I spoke to an Apple support agent and we tried the same plus holding down 4 keys after shutting off. My Mac Air still doesn't recognize my android phone. He said it seems that Yosemite is not compatible with my android phone and recommended sending files/pictures by email. Very inconvenient!

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast
I've not noticed any changes in terms of compatibility with Android, I've used terminal and adb with a several Android devices using Yosemite since early in beta stages without a hitch. Same with the app Android File Transfer, works just fine.

I suggest you try Android File Transfer to move files to and from your Android device

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
Yosemite works with my Nexus 5 no problem. Just further proof Samsung products suck. :cool:

edit: And +1 to the Android File Transfer program.

Batt4Christ

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
Arkansas
Yosemite & Android - Apple shut door?

OK - so with Yosemite, I was still able to connect my Android tablet to my MacBook via USB and use Android File Transfer to move files to my tablet.

With the 10.10.2 Beta program, since Beta 2, pugging in my Android tablet to my MacBook brings up nothing - and system profile doesn't even show the tablet connected. And now, I cannot connect the two via Bluetooth either. The only means of file transfer is either by email, or by microUSB.

Is Apple playing games here? Trying to punish those who have Android devices?

Batt4Christ

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
Arkansas
The aim of the Beta program is to get feedback, have you done that?

Yes - I make a point of doing the feedback assistant tool every time I encounter an issue.

Oddly enough, stepping back to the regular release (boot on main partition) of Yosemite brings back functionality of Android devices connected via USB. Reboot to the Beta partition, and my MacBook Pro no longer even sees an Android device connected. Very strange, but I think this pretty much verifies, at least in my case, that it is a software/OS issue.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Yes - I make a point of doing the feedback assistant tool every time I encounter an issue.

Cool - does the OS talk to the Android natively or is there a driver/app in the middle? Just wondering if it is a compatibility with the driver rather than base OS issue....

Batt4Christ

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
Arkansas
Cool - does the OS talk to the Android natively or is there a driver/app in the middle? Just wondering if it is a compatibility with the driver rather than base OS issue....

Even before I installed Android File Transfer, my MacBook Pro could "see" an Android device connected, it just didn't do anything with it. Installing Android File Transfer brought the ability to basically use the Android device like an external drive.

Under the last two Yosemite betas, no Android device shows up at all - even in System Report.

So - in other words: I don't know.

sibelius101

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
Missing Android Items In Finder

I had the same problem in Yosemite with missing Items, the way I fixed it was to go to my home preferences folder and deleted all com.apple items that were to do with network and internet. Lo and behold the missing android items reappeared!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.