Yosemite login screen bug

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by lokasdekartas, Jul 26, 2014.

1. lokasdekartas, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014

lokasdekartas macrumors newbie

I have this bug when i try to login it wont work, it freezes and displays a weird graphical glitch, i dont think its hardware because i can still use my windows bootcamp partition but if any of you can help i would appreciate it.

This is a video of what happens

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Can you type your password despite the flickering and gain access?

3. lokasdekartas thread starter macrumors newbie

I can type it, after about a minute it appears on screen, then sometimes it registers when i press enter but it still gets stuck, i cant gain access

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

5. lokasdekartas thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah that was my last resort but i have some info on my drive i dont want to lose

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Ohhh... I hope you didn't install Yosemite over your normal OS installation! :eek:

7. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Transfer all your info to Google Drive or something similar - or run out and buy a 64GB USB drive - assuming your files (like word/pages docs) are less than 64GBs. Or buy a 1TB external HDD.

I put all my sensitive/important docs in the cloud before installing 10.10

8. lokasdekartas thread starter macrumors newbie

:eek:

----------

yeah i've got a drive i can transfer it to, but how do i do it if i cant even login, i dont think i can do it in recovery mode with disk utility

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

When my screen on my 2007 MB died I connected my MB to my brothers MB via firewire. My broken MB effectively became an external HDD and I was able to transfer all my files that way. See if you can do something similar.

10. lokasdekartas thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ok thanks i will try and post results

11. lokasdekartas thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so after endless hours of trying to fix this i finally found a way combining several methods.

1- Clear the PRAM
    2-Reset SMC
    3-Boot into Single User by holding cmd+S when booting
    4- Write exactly these lines one by one and press enter after each one
    /sbin/fsck -fy /
    /sbin/mount -uw /
    mkdir /Disabled_System_Library_Extensions
    cd /Disabled_System_Library_Extensions
    mv /System/Library/Extensions/ATI* .
    mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMD* .
    touch /System/Library/Extensions
    exit
    5-When you boot in to OS X and finally can log in go ahead and download "Kext Utility" and open it
    6- go to Macintosh HD/Disabled_System_Library_Extensions
    7-Select all the files and drag them into the "Kext Utility" window
    8-Wait for it to finish
    9-Restart your computer and it should be solved

Hope this helps

12. RPMDude010 macrumors newbie

This problem caused me to reinstall OS X Mavericks this weekend - several times. Looking forward to trying out your fix!!

13. edjusted macrumors member

I had the same problem over the weekend. Drove me nuts. I also tried to do a clean install, etc. It worked on the first login then the problem started back up after subsequent reboots. I fixed it by rebooting in safe mode (hold down the shift-key while booting up), logging in, going to the Energy Saver preference panel and turning off "automatic graphics switching" option. (I found mention of this on another forum).

FWIW, I turned it back on later and haven't had the problem come back again, knock on wood. Also, I noticed that if you turn on auto login so it bypasses the login screen, the problem doesn't seem to show up.

14. bit50man macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem three times now

Install went ok, also updated iTunes, again no problem. Had rebooted a few times... again no problem. Left the laptop on overnight to do a backup and rebooted next day and experienced the same as per your video. Reinstalled, then rebooted lots of times ... no problems. I usually leave the laptop in sleep mode and have been using it with no problems but... then decided to reboot and same thing happened again!. I followed advice on forum, rebooted (ctrl -s) and entered the following

mount -uw /
    rm /var/db/.applesetupdone
    shutdown -h now

Went through the early setup screens then was able to get back in with my original account. Again rebooted a number of times, no probs but once more after another reboot same again. Back to Maverick.

15. josefefs macrumors newbie

So I did this and it solve the same problem, but I got another one, now my whole computer has a similar bug, every time I open a window in Finder, Safari, or any other app, my graphics are all slow and glitchy, my toolbar disappears or changes color and my computer performance is really slow, does anyone know how to fix this?

16. signofthetimes macrumors newbie

me too!

I get a cool-looking glitchy screen after the screen goes to sleep, and then I wake it up again. Once I enter my password, it works fine, so it doesn't affect the functionality. Image attached.

Attached Files: