Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I have no idea why you believe a mac computer is becoming mobile phone.
Apple's continued stripping of features from once decent apps so as to make them compatible with iPhone versions of the same might be one such reason Etan1000 believes that.
Used to be you could do more stuff, more efficiently, with a physical keyboard and mouse/trackpad, than you could with a touch screen. Now? Not so much, and it's not because touch screen apps are becoming more powerful.

Etan1000

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
I'm not sure what the point is. Continuity is your problem? You believe that continuity is making OS X closer to IOS? I'd call it a great feature. I really don't understand this. I have no idea why you believe a mac computer is becoming mobile phone. Just because I can take phone calls and make texts from them, doesn't diminish their value, it enhances it. And at what loss? None that I can see.

You are missing the point entirely. No one else is jabbering on about this so-called Continuity "feature" which is a minor and IMHO rather juvenile add-on enabling one to use their Mac as a phone.

Please read the thread from the beginning to get up to date. It is the visual changes in fonts and elements and related deficiencies which have been seriously degrading our productivity and affecting our vision.

No one is going to re-write all the detailed explanations for you. Just start at the beginning and read the entire thread.

Etan

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
You are missing the point entirely. No one else is jabbering on about this so-called Continuity "feature" which is a minor and IMHO rather juvenile add-on enabling one to use their Mac as a phone.

Please read the thread from the beginning to get up to date. It is the visual changes in fonts and elements and related deficiencies which have been seriously degrading our productivity and affecting our vision.

No one is going to re-write all the detailed explanations for you. Just start at the beginning and read the entire thread.

Etan

There's nothing juvenile about that feature. It is genuinely useful. Often, my phone is in another room. When it rings or I want to make a call it is very useful when my computer or iPad is nearby. I have often used those devices to handle calls. It works very well and even allows me to use my older iPhones in the manner of extension phones.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

Etan

If you could rewrite all the detailed descriptions, I'd appreciate it...
Because it's so hard to figure out through all the whinging and tantrums (yes, go way back in the thread and you'll find some). Some of which has been valid and some of which has bordered on ludicrous in my opinion.

The best thing you and others have said on this thread is that you should contact Apple with your complaints.

Many people are complaining about the visuals because it's becoming more like an iPhone and thus feels dumbed down. I think it's missing the bigger picture. I believe Apple are trying to bring uniformity to all their platforms in a hope to make them work together better, which really, has to be the ultimate goal. Also the stripping of functions. I think you'll find that there are lot of new features that make using the OS easier in different way. This is a process of change. Yes, some features are gone, but others appear. Again, contact Apple and let them know as you have said.

Haha... Continuity is a juvenile feature? Thanks for letting me know. I won't use it for work anymore.

have a nice day... or night, wherever you are.

Etan1000

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
If you could rewrite all the detailed descriptions, I'd appreciate it...
Because it's so hard to figure out through all the whinging and tantrums …Many people are complaining about the visuals because it's becoming more like an iPhone and thus feels dumbed down. I think it's missing the bigger picture. I believe Apple are trying to bring uniformity to all their platforms in a hope to make them work together better, which really, has to be the ultimate goal. Also the stripping of functions. I think you'll find that there are lot of new features that make using the OS easier in different way. This is a process of change. Yes, some features are gone, but others appear. Again, contact Apple and let them know as you have said.

Haha... Continuity is a juvenile feature? Thanks for letting me know. I won't use it for work anymore.

have a nice day... or night, wherever you are.

I don't know what you're smoking, smoking monkey, but you are absolutely wrong in your characterization of the complaints about Yosemite.

If you want to be taken seriously, you need to do a lot more reading of what is being said on this and the other forums across the internet, including the Apple Support Communities, as to the subject of the complaints about Yosemite. The major complaints are about loss of productivity due to eyestrain, headaches and the abandonment of the Human Interface Guidelines.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6602718?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/message/28072442?ac_cid=tw123456#28072442

If you came here to ridicule and toy with productive, loyal Apple people who are complaining about now getting only 5 hours of work done where they formerly produced 7-8, are encountering delays in getting their work out, are suffering from headaches, eyestrain, etc. then you have established yourself here as a mere troll, with whom further conversation or debate is unworthy.

Etan

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
Useful couple of links from :apple: support communities from Etan. I tried to find mavericks to upload, got quite a few websites but while there is clearly a lot of interest, I don't trust that it is still possible to upgrade to Mavericks.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I don't know what you're smoking, smoking monkey, but you are absolutely wrong in your characterization of the complaints about Yosemite.

If you want to be taken seriously, you need to do a lot more reading of what is being said on this and the other forums across the internet, including the Apple Support Communities, as to the subject of the complaints about Yosemite. The major complaints are about loss of productivity due to eyestrain, headaches and the abandonment of the Human Interface Guidelines.

If you came here to ridicule and toy with productive, loyal Apple people who are complaining about now getting only 5 hours of work done where they formerly produced 7-8, are encountering delays in getting their work out, are suffering from headaches, eyestrain, etc. then you have established yourself here as a mere troll, with whom further conversation or debate is unworthy.

Etan

It really does not help you look all that worthy when you post a comment like this:

No one else is jabbering on about this so-called Continuity "feature" which is a minor and IMHO rather juvenile add-on enabling one to use their Mac as a phone.

You are coming across as just angry and raging.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

Etan

3 hours of lost productivity? What, a day? I'm not sure how that claim can be taken seriously if that's the assertion.

To be honest, I find the hyperbole being thrown about in this thread, which I've been following and posting in since last year, worse than usual.

As for you insinuations as to my motives, I think you should tread carefully. And as for further dialogue with me, please, do stop.

On a positive end, once again, your suggestion to send feedback to Apple is the best course of action. Everybody on this thread should be doing it immediately.

BradHatter

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2014
That's very true and I think it's called moving with the times. Had Apple not done it, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot. I think this is a good thing. Having computers and gadgets in sync with each other has always been the vision for me. Personally, I don't think the OS is becoming more like an iPhone apart from a few visual flourishes, I think the tech is just starting to work together far better.

Personally, as a Apple phone owner, the addition of continuity to the OS is one of the best thing they've ever done. It has increased my workflow and made everything so much easier. UI fatigue is also better now with the cleaner and simpler lines of the flatter OS.

There are so many small things a user is missing out on if they don't upgrade. The built in dictionary is just one example. It's been totally overhauled and is a fantastic tool now.

Sure some Pro apps may stop somebody, but for the average user, there is no reason to hold back. Even if they don't like the look, all the neat features make up for it.

Are you with Apple's marketing team? I noticed you made a very similar post on the Yosemite is Beautiful thread. What does the comment:

"Sure some Pro apps may stop somebody, but for the average user, there is no reason to hold back. Even if they don't like the look, all the neat features make up for it."

really mean?

It sounds to me like what you're saying is "Use Yosemite, even if you think it sucks and busts half your working apps."

That doesn't make any sense.

Forgive my stupidity, but the entire purpose of having an application is for it to function properly under an OS, not break.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Are you with Apple's marketing team? I noticed you made a very similar post on the Yosemite is Beautiful thread. What does the comment:

"Sure some Pro apps may stop somebody, but for the average user, there is no reason to hold back. Even if they don't like the look, all the neat features make up for it."

really mean?

It sounds to me like what you're saying is "Use Yosemite, even if you think it sucks and busts half your working apps."

That doesn't make any sense.

Forgive my stupidity, but the entire purpose of having an application is for it to function properly under an OS, not break.

It means exactly what was written.
For the "average user" there will be little if any trouble. Sure there will also be change and apps will lose and gain features. Contact Apple in this case and let them know of your displeasure.

"Use Yosemite, even if you think it sucks and busts half your working apps."
Really, half? This doesn't help the discussion.

Last edited:

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
3 hours of lost productivity? What, a day? I'm not sure how that claim can be taken seriously if that's the assertion.

Lost three hours of productivity can constitute a considerable sum of money in case of some members. For them it is serious.

To be honest, I find the hyperbole being thrown about in this thread, which I've been following and posting in since last year, worse than usual.

Your honesty is appreciated, nevertheless your motive visiting this thread is contradictory.

...I think you should tread carefully...

You better bear in mind that it applies to you too.

...to send feedback to Apple is the best course of action. Everybody on this thread should be doing it immediately.

You're legging behind. It has been done already.

Last but not least. Just to remind you of your own words, before you post anywhere concerning Yosemite:

This thread is called: Yosemite looks Terrible.

Therefore we are discussing and debating purely the "look" of Yosemite. Something that a lot of detractors are forgetting. Your valid beefs with UI design is not the question here. It's purely the look.

as for the poster who asked would I recommend Yosemite in its current form? No, I wouldn't... even though I like it. There are still major bugs in the software regarding wifi in particular that need sorting out immediately. I'm guessing most people who wouldn't recommend it base this opinion on software bugs or UI versus the looks. Obviously I can't back that up, but this is my opinion.

dmj102

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Canada
It means exactly what was written.
For the "average user" there will be little if any trouble. Sure there will also be change and apps will lose and gain features. Contact Apple in this case and let them know of your displeasure.

"Use Yosemite, even if you think it sucks and busts half your working apps."
Really, half? This doesn't help the discussion.

For your INFO smoking monkey, I've been sending tons of feedback to Apple to fix the font in Yosemite since I updated. I used to have clear crisp font in Mavericks and this is purely unacceptable. It does affect my work if you must know, and Apple's "just works" doesn't work on my Mac. Glad it does for you.

Etan1000

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
This quote from here on MacRumors back on Jun 10, 2014 was referenced today on the Apple Support Communities thread:

I don't really know how to explain this, but is anyone else finding Yosemite extremely difficult to look at?

I'm not sure if it's the fonts, or the bright colours and lack of contrast, or what- but I can't stand using it for more then an hour at a time. My eyes feel incredibly strained afterwards, assuming I don't get a full blown headache. I have had no such problems under 10.8 (and I stare at the computer for well over 8 hours a day, with several short breaks in-between).

Don't get me wrong, I want to like Yosemite. I think there's some relevant stuff in there, and I like the idea of a flatter UI. I've just... Well, never experienced anything like this in the 20+ years I've been using computers (all the way from DOS to OS/2 Warp, BeOS, Solaris, AIX, various incarnations of Linux, Mac OS 7 to Mac OS X, and Windows 3.1 to Windows 7). I know some systems take a while to get used to and I'm fine with that, but every time I boot into Yosemite for a few hours I come away from it feeling like someone has been prodding my eyes with chopsticks or something.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that using a computer shouldn't be physically taxing?

-SC

As for whether it has been fixed as of today, April 15, 2015, see this comment there also just posted today:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/28079496?ac_cid=tw123456#28079496

Etan

blucolar

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2015
Michigan
I have made a dual boot system to try out Yoesmite, thank goodness. As you use it, Yoesmite, you find yourself moving closer and closer to the screen, trying compensate for a nagging, constant, questioning of what does that say. A computer OS should clearly, precisely, quickly convey the information the user needs to get the work done. You shouldn’t have to buy calibration equipment, a new computer, or go to an optometrist to make sure nothing is going wrong with your eyes just to use your computer when you upgraded the OS. For those young eyes out there, there is a funny movie with Steve Martin called The Jerk, take a watch. For the rest of us, I’m buying stock in the companies that make eyeglass lenses. As a side note, for those wondering about the dumbing down of Apple Apps, just visit iMovie, Pages and Numbers at the App Store and read the latest reviews. For your enjoyment.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Lost three hours of productivity can constitute a considerable sum of money in case of some members. For them it is serious.
:

I think you've missed the point. Nobody is questioning how serious losing three hours of work is. I'm questioning the foundation of the statement that the new look of the OS causes a 5 hour job to take 8 hours.

For your INFO smoking monkey, I've been sending tons of feedback to Apple to fix the font in Yosemite since I updated. I used to have clear crisp font in Mavericks and this is purely unacceptable. It does affect my work if you must know, and Apple's "just works" doesn't work on my Mac. Glad it does for you.

That's great that you did send info. Why have 2 people now had a go at me for telling people to do this when others have done the same. It's always good advice. And I never said it didn't affect work. I questioned the validity of the 3 hour claim. There are plenty of options in the accessibility menu, yeah? Tried all those? Are you using a Retina screen? Non Retina?
Anyway, I hope it gets better for you.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I hate to be the last one to say "yosemite is not that bad". and ya, I hated the flat look, and still do, but its growing on me....

The "archive" mailbox is inconvenient, since every-time i accidentally archive mail i need to recreate all my accounts again just to get rid of the blasted thing. It's the only way.... and I guess Apple teaching us a lesson.

I'm not committing this to main server at the mac mini streaming desktop, just my macbook pro, for a few days, but so far,so good...

It's a change i may regret.... but i'll see.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I think you've missed the point. Nobody is questioning how serious losing three hours of work is. I'm questioning the foundation of the statement that the new look of the OS causes a 5 hour job to take 8 hours...

You question others' experience with the new design that causes eyestrain and headache in their case.

It is not the point that is missed, you are confusing roles here.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
The "archive" mailbox is inconvenient, since every-time i accidentally archive mail i need to recreate all my accounts again just to get rid of the blasted thing. It's the only way.... and I guess Apple teaching us a lesson.

The only lesson I've learned from Apple about Apple Mail is NOT USE IT. I've switched full time to Thunderbird and have no more problems. Apple Mail is a fracking disaster and as soon as they update the OS and you don't, you no longer get updates to Mail, Safari, etc. so you're better off with someone else that doesn't just arbitrarily stop all updates to force you to update your OS. It's not like those updates matter, anyway since Apple never seems to fix their damn bugs. I got so sick of my mail not updating immediately when new mail came in (I had the disconnect button fix and tried exiting and restarting mail and it got OLD. WTF can't Apple just fix their damn bugs in a timely fashion instead of WASTING THEIR TIME "FIXING" THINGS THAT AREN'T BROKE (e.g. graphics)??? The world will never know. Does Yosemite fix the NFS sleep token issue? No. Why would it? They're too busy making the graphics and fonts illegible.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I'm still finding there's lots of graphic glitches and UI stutter with the latest version, on an intel i7 3.4ghz 2011 imac with 16GB ram and 256GB SSD, which is a pretty banging machine still.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I'm still finding there's lots of graphic glitches and UI stutter with the latest version, on an intel i7 3.4ghz 2011 imac with 16GB ram and 256GB SSD, which is a pretty banging machine still.

I have the same year and hardware configuration iMac as you do. I have not seen any graphics glitches or UI stutter problems since installing Yosemite on my 2011 iMac. In fact, I find Yosemite to be more stable and better performing then when I had Mavericks 10.9.5 installed on it.

This is a prefect example of what I have seen several times, a person reporting issues with Yosemite on identical model and hardware and still another person does not have any of the issues.

EDIT: Just installed the 10.10.3 supplement and no issues have been introduced that I can see.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The only lesson I've learned from Apple about Apple Mail is NOT USE IT. I've switched full time to Thunderbird and have no more problems. Apple Mail is a fracking disaster and as soon as they update the OS and you don't, you no longer get updates to Mail, Safari, etc. so you're better off with someone else that doesn't just arbitrarily stop all updates to force you to update your OS. It's not like those updates matter, anyway since Apple never seems to fix their damn bugs. I got so sick of my mail not updating immediately when new mail came in (I had the disconnect button fix and tried exiting and restarting mail and it got OLD. WTF can't Apple just fix their damn bugs in a timely fashion instead of WASTING THEIR TIME "FIXING" THINGS THAT AREN'T BROKE (e.g. graphics)??? The world will never know. Does Yosemite fix the NFS sleep token issue? No. Why would it? They're too busy making the graphics and fonts illegible.

Understood...

Apple cares so much about their fonts getting "just perfect" they seem to forget is just an operating system...... Tim isn't exactly running for the world champion here...(Although sometimes it often seems that way) by the detail that goes in....

It's fine Apple shooting for stuff, but does it really make THAT much of a difference ? you can see the detail and yes its sharper, but just how sharp/crisp do you want the resolution and fonts.. Till I get eye strain.?

Usually i must take my glasses of now just to see Retina because its so sharp, its impossible to leave them on...

Compare that to a mere 1920x1080 on Windows systems where i have no problem... What does that tell you, (....apart from maybe i have bad eye sight ...)

You would think there is a limit to how high Apple will climb... but they are climbing higher then Mt. Everest..

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
That's my biggest issue with Yosemite. The majority of users don't have a retina mac, helvetica looks gorgeous on my iPhone, but too thin on my Mac. I haven't tried the various workarounds to change the system font, but I might. On another note, 10.10.3 is solid, improvements in performance are noticeable (Finder & Safari for example - I couldn't care less for Photos for now so I can't comment)

Do you have data on your statement I bolded? Now I'm curious because I thought that many people would have a retina, seeing as they were first released over 2 1/2 years ago.

I highly recommend you change the font back to Lucida Grande. That was the first thing I did when I installed Yosemite - even on my retina Mac - because I can't stand Helvetica. I hate that font and I don't want it anywhere. On my iPhone I also have a custom font (with Bytafont, as it's jailbroken). Helvetica seriously messed up readability and it should never ever be a system font.

For example, why do you think forums use Verdana instead of Helvetica? Readability.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
Do you have data on your statement I bolded? Now I'm curious because I thought that many people would have a retina, seeing as they were first released over 2 1/2 years ago.

No I don't, but a lot of people use older computers, whether they're Macbooks nor not (iMacs and Mac Pros are not extinct - the first retina iMac a only a few months old, and it doesn't come cheap, not to mention the mini customers). Not everyone gets a new computer every two years, which is why I still think the majority doesn't have retina macs. Apple doesn't break down sales by model so I guess that kind of data would be hard to obtain.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

My newest computer is 4 years old, the other two are 6 years old each. They are still going strong running 10.10.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.