Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Mail.app on Yosemite is murdering my CPU.

Every few minutes, mail.app CPU usage jumps to like 158%, stays there for several minutes, then either returns to normal, or I have to force quit the process and restart mail. This has been repeating over and over.

I have three mail accounts: iCloud, Gmail, and Exchange, one of each.

Did not have this problem on Mavericks. I'm on a 2012 13" MBA i5 8 GB RAM.

Anyone else having this issue?

RhythmGuru

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
This has been happening to me all day. Reboot didn't work. I have to force quit Mail. It works for awhile, then fans kick on and CPU is being hammered. No changes in my settings since yesterday on Mavericks. I fiddled with a few settings after it happened twice, no dice. Major issue, if I walk away from my laptop, I don't want this to cause any damage. Late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 15"

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
This has been happening to me all day. Reboot didn't work. I have to force quit Mail. It works for awhile, then fans kick on and CPU is being hammered. No changes in my settings since yesterday on Mavericks. I fiddled with a few settings after it happened twice, no dice. Major issue, if I walk away from my laptop, I don't want this to cause any damage. Late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 15"

A few hours later and my mail seems to have calmed down.

I will continue to monitor and post back if it starts again.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
This is an issue on the mail.app with every OS X release. After importing my 9000+ conversations however, it seems as if my mail.app has calmed down now.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
This issue has now returned for me. Today, mail.app CPU usage is back up to 158% and the fans are going full blast.

I checked Console and this mail error is repeating over and over again, since the time the fans turned on:

Code:
10/20/14 11:48:50.078 AM Mail[436]: childFrame with no value: <_SOAPParserFrame: 0x60000823a900> EWSMailboxTypeTypeDefinition:__NSCFString (Inlined Arrays: (null))
10/20/14 11:48:50.095 AM Mail[436]: Unrecognized XSSimpleTypeDefinition: OneOff

jdmass

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
Same here. Since upgrading to Yosemite, the fan on my MBP has started running for long periods. I finally decided to investigate and found Mail cpu utilization over 150%. Force quite mail and the fan stops.

Very repeatable.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Mail.app on Yosemite is murdering my CPU.

Every few minutes, mail.app CPU usage jumps to like 158%, stays there for several minutes, then either returns to normal, or I have to force quit the process and restart mail. This has been repeating over and over.

I have three mail accounts: iCloud, Gmail, and Exchange, one of each.

Did not have this problem on Mavericks. I'm on a 2012 13" MBA i5 8 GB RAM.

Anyone else having this issue?

Can you temporarily disable or delete the Exchange account and tell us if the problem persists?

andy2343

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
Can you temporarily disable or delete the Exchange account and tell us if the problem persists?

I tried this and it seemed to have an immediate effect. And of course, re-enabling raised CPU usage back to 150% within moments.

Using Mail for the first time since upgrading today and Exchange has tens of thousands of emails, so hoping that this will stop after running for a few more hours, will update if that does occur.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I tried this and it seemed to have an immediate effect. And of course, re-enabling raised CPU usage back to 150% within moments.

Using Mail for the first time since upgrading today and Exchange has tens of thousands of emails, so hoping that this will stop after running for a few more hours, will update if that does occur.

Very interesting. Thanks for confirming my suspicion after reading threads with similar issues to yours and it explains why I cannot reproduce this. I wonder if anyone has submitted a bug report for this to Apple?

Could you check in Activity Monitor in the Memory tab if Mail is eating loads (GBs) of memory when the Exchange account is enabled?

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Very interesting. Thanks for confirming my suspicion after reading threads with similar issues to yours and it explains why I cannot reproduce this. I wonder if anyone has submitted a bug report for this to Apple?

Could you check in Activity Monitor in the Memory tab if Mail is eating loads (GBs) of memory when the Exchange account is enabled?

I can tell you that for me, it was CPU only, no memory issue.

Also, I haven't had the problem for two days now. I will post again if it comes back. I did not do anything to try to fix it.

jdmass

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
Well, it seems that I've fixed my high-CPU Mail problem by deleting my gmail account and then re-adding it. I did this yesterday and have had normal CPU activity and no fan noise since then.

I was originally planning on deleting accounts 1 by 1, but after gmail was removed, the problem went away -so I just decided to re-add it. So far, so good. I can't explain why this helped, but it seems to have worked for me.

traix

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Same Problem here

The problem isn't with entourage or outlook as I don't have either of those accounts.

I read it could be a mail indexing issue, but that doesn't really help much.

I guess this needs to be reported to Apple and they should really jump on this as overheating CPUs is not a good thing.

It is also literally filling my solid state drive until I quit the Mail App. It has literally filled my drive, and if I force quit mail and restart, then I have 15 GB available and it fills that space, fast

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I'm experiencing the same problem. Mail uses like 500%+ usage, as reported by iStat. Fans blowing hard...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-10-23 11.49.29.png
    Screenshot 2014-10-23 11.49.29.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 339

iGarth

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Just started happening to me today. Have tried restarting and rebuilding mailboxes, to no avail.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Just wanted to report for anyone interested that 10.10.2 Beta 2 has shown great improvement in Mail.app performance in general. My CPU usage issue had calmed down in 10.10.1 but Mail.app was still really slow, lots of lag, big pauses when deleting messages, etc. It's finally all better, very smooth and responsive in 10.10.2 Beta 2.

MacKyle

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
Cold Country
Slow Mail app, Lag in Typing?!

I have not seen a spike higher than 28% in the CPU. However, I experience serious lagging in typing, backspace, etc. in Mail and that is when I notice Mail app is spiking up to close to 30% CPU.
Apple Support, of course, recommended reinstall, fresh re-sinstall, then start removing other app to isolate the problem.. Who trains these idiots? I am going to g Bar.

spudman

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2015
Same problem with 10.10.2

I've never noticed the resource hog that Mac Mail can be UNTIL I upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.1 and 10.10.2. Since then Mac Mail (v8.2) can go up to 218% of CPU (according to iStat) with fans blowing hard. No recovery until Mac Mail is restarted. Could well be indexing or Exchange, as I have lots of archived mailboxes and run most mail through Exchange. Was not a problem with previous versions of Yosemite, Mavericks or Snow Leopard.

Bill Hitz

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
The problem does seem to be Gmail on 10.10.3 Apple Mail app.

Experience:
Disabled Gmail account in the Apple Mail app - no more CPU hogging by Mail and no more high temperatures. Did not delete the account.
Re-enabld the Gmail account in the Apple Mail app - experienced a repeat of the problem for a while, and then the problem stopped stopped.
All is working normally now. Gmail is enabled, CPU usage is negligible. Temperature is somewhat high, but it may not be Apple Mail necessarily.
Now Mail Quits immediately on command without delays.

di1in

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
The problem does seem to be Gmail on 10.10.3 Apple Mail app.

Experience:
Disabled Gmail account in the Apple Mail app - no more CPU hogging by Mail and no more high temperatures. Did not delete the account.
Re-enabld the Gmail account in the Apple Mail app - experienced a repeat of the problem for a while, and then the problem stopped stopped.
All is working normally now. Gmail is enabled, CPU usage is negligible. Temperature is somewhat high, but it may not be Apple Mail necessarily.
Now Mail Quits immediately on command without delays.

Did it come back after you did this? It worked short term but then the problem started again for me.

Bill Hitz

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
Did it come back after you did this? It worked short term but then the problem started again for me.

Unfortunately, the problem came back with a vengeance and for several days the computer was hot, no matter what combination of apps I used, with fans running 4,000 to 6,000 RPMs.

Then, I went ahead and completely removed Gmail on Saturday. Since yesterday it has been running quiet and cool, even with Mail open all the time. Of course, running videos or other typical high intensity processes still raises the temperature, but not to the previous levels, and the fans remain down to a normal 2,000 RPMs.

Note that there were several shut downs and restarts along the way, but they remain undocumented.

I hope that helps. I don't think anything is conclusive yet, but I will report further changes.

Reactions: di1in

bradhs

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
This issue has returned on 10.11. Did anyone find a solution to it?

6/9/15 20:18:53.559 Mail[25213]: childFrame with no value: <_SOAPParserFrame: 0x7fe33f289ff0> EWSMailboxTypeTypeDefinition:__NSCFString (Inlined Arrays: (null))
6/9/15 20:18:53.559 Mail[25213]: Unrecognized XSSimpleTypeDefinition: OneOff
6/9/15 20:18:53.559 Mail[25213]: childFrame with no value: <_SOAPParserFrame: 0x7fe341b5e7c0> EWSMailboxTypeTypeDefinition:__NSCFString (Inlined Arrays: (null))
6/9/15 20:18:53.573 Mail[25213]: Unrecognized XSSimpleTypeDefinition: OneOff
6/9/15 20:18:53.574 Mail[25213]: childFrame with no value: <_SOAPParserFrame: 0x7fe33fc10470> EWSMailboxTypeTypeDefinition:__NSCFString (Inlined Arrays: (null))
6/9/15 20:18:53.574 Mail[25213]: Unrecognized XSSimpleTypeDefinition: OneOff

TMoore

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2015
I found one solution :

1/ Close mail.app
2/ Go to System Preferences > Accessibility > Display
3/ Check Reduce transparency
4/ Open mail.app

After some restart problem will return but for now it helps.

regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.