Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pankig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Hello, I just recently upgraded from 10.6.8 to Yosemite and I noticed my computer was acting really slow with lots of internet and performance issues and I googled some questions and saw on the Apple forums to remove or replace files in my users/system/launch daemon folder. I did that but now when I boot my computer, after I put my password in, my screen is completely black, I can see my mouse but nothing else and I can't do anything. I tried re booting in safe mode but the same thing happened. I need my files...is there any way I can fix this as I did not make a backup. How would I at least re install Mac OS x and keep some of my files? Thanks

Last edited:

tvguy

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I would reinstall 10.10 and see what happens. It should load all new file for the operating system. You will need to boot off of a thumb drive with 10.10. installer on it.

I hope you made a bootable drive... if not you will have to use another Mac to make one.

pankig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
So I did command r in the beginning and re installed Yosemite through the boot loader....but the same thing happens after I login , a black screen of death.

pankig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
I've backed up my files but have no idea how to 're install Mac...do I have to go to the Apple store and purchase a CD to 're install?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I would use a friend's computer to re download Yosemite, make a bootable thumb drive as previously advised.
Use Disk Utility to erase your HD, then do a clean install of Yosemite.

Be aware Yosemite can take several hours too optimize itself, during which computer speed is affected.

SulaimanK

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
I would rather advise you to try the fresh installation which wipes out all old and incompatible systems from the computer, Unless if you take full backup of your Snow Leopard you're good to go otherwise you may need to struggle with the slowness.

Furthermore before attempting this clean installation step, You should try to do partition installation and see whether you're occurring this slowness. If all goes stable then you can completely wipe out your main partition and then install the OS X Yosemite from the Bootable USB.

I guess i have been affected apart of this similar case long time ago with OS X Mountain Lion which i upgraded from Snow Leopard directly Mountain Lion and i have strongly been affected by the slowness of system, But the Apple Technician advised to try the clean installation instead which really helped me to solve this case much quicker than i expected!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So I did command r in the beginning and re installed Yosemite through the boot loader....but the same thing happens after I login , a black screen of death.

Try a safe mode boot by holding the shift key just after the chime. That bypasses an login or startup items that might be causing a conflict. If it works in safe mode, that tells you a login or startup item is causing the problem.

Use the utility Etrecheck to find login/startup items.

Anything you messed up by deleting things in that daemon folder should have been fixed by the reinstall. Did the reinstall seem to complete okay?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.