Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mofongotron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
I have an external Toshiba USB HDD that consists of two partitions: one for Time Machine, and another for iTunes and movies. Since upgrading to Yosemite, the partitions are not mounting properly onto the desktop of my 15" rMBP. The Time Machine Partition mounts, but the icon does not immediately change to the blue Time Machine Icon (I have to re-select that partition as my Time Machine drive). The other partition doesn't appear at all on the desktop. It appears in both the terminal and in Disk Utility, and when I try to mount it with Disk Utility, it says I need to run first aid (although that seems impossible without the partition being mounted). I connected the HDD to both my 2008 MBP a 2012 iMac, and a 2013 rMBP (none of which were running Yosemite) and both partitions mounted instantly, with no issues. Luckily, I was able to backup my data. Why is it that my HDD doesn't seem to mount properly on my rMBP with Yosemite?

When I connect the HDD, the console says:
diskarbitartiond: unable to mount /dev/disk2s2 (status code 0x00000047).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I need to access the files on that drive on my rMBP.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I don't have a solution to the problem but here's what diskarbitrationd is all about.

Reference

DISKARBITRATIOND(8) BSD System Manager's Manual DISKARBITRATIOND(8)

NAME
diskarbitrationd -- disk arbitration daemon

SYNOPSIS
diskarbitrationd [-d]

DESCRIPTION
diskarbitrationd listens for connections from clients, notifies clients of the appearance of disks and
filesystems, and governs the mounting of filesystems and the claiming of disks amongst clients.

diskarbitrationd is accessed via the Disk Arbitration framework. This command is not intended to be
invoked directly.

Options:

-d Report detailed information in /var/log/diskarbitrationd.log.

The file /etc/fstab is consulted for user-defined mount points, indexed by filesystem, in the mount
point determination for a filesystem. Each filesystem can be identified by its UUID or by its label,
using the constructs ``UUID'' or ``LABEL'', respectively. For example:

UUID=DF000C7E-AE0C-3B15-B730-DFD2EF15CB91 /export ufs ro
UUID=FAB060E9-79F7-33FF-BE85-E1D3ABD3EDEA none hfs rw,noauto
LABEL=The\040Volume\040Name\040Is\040This none msdos ro

FILES
/etc/fstab
/var/log/diskarbitrationd.log
/var/run/diskarbitrationd.pid
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd.plist

SEE ALSO
fstab(5)

Darwin July 18, 2004 Darwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.