Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philly-GUI-Dude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
My MacBook Prop (late 2011) has worked just fine on my Thunderbolt Display since I installed Yosemite since day 1 and starting yesterday it stopped.

When I sya it stopped working I mean the following:
  1. Display is black
  2. MacBook Pro does recognizes it
  3. The FaceTime camera still works
  4. The USB and network cable still works
  5. The power cable still works
  6. Bypassing the Tunderbolt Displays cable with my own Thunderbolt cable does exactly the same thing
  7. I don't see ghosting, but I do see ghosting on my iMac

I would assume it with was my Thunderbolt Display, but it actually stopped working on my 27" iMac (2014) used as an external display using a Thunderbold cable since i installed Yosemite. The iMac as external display worked fine with Mavericks.

IF I connect my MBP to my Dell Display using a DisplayPort to DVI cable, it works just fine.

Any idea? Hope I gave all my details! Thanks!

opfor

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2014
I have a MPB late 2011 here and a Thunderbolt display. It seems to be working fine so far. If you give me some instructions I can try to reproduce.

Have you tried switching to mirror display, etc just to see if something appears on the screen?

Philly-GUI-Dude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Hey opfor, I did try to mirror on my iMac 27" using the Thunderbolt cable to use it as an external monitor, but all is see is an almost black screen. If you tilt the screen and look really close, you will see everything is there and that it is working. I'm not sure if this is called ghosting? Its as though the backlight is not on. BUT my iMac works just fine!

Any idea? I used to use the iMac as an external monitor with my MacBook Pro with Mavericks just fine.

Philly-GUI-Dude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
I have attached a photo of my iMac being used as the external monitor using the thunderbolt cable connected to my MacBook Pro running Yosemite

Attachments

• IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    864.7 KB · Views: 487

Philly-GUI-Dude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
So I tested an early 2011 MacBook Pro on my Thunderbolt Display, and it wasn't working for it either, so I 'm not sure now that it is Yosemite, it might just be a coincidence that it stopped working.

But on my iMac, using it as an external monitor for my late 2011 MacBook Pro with Yosemite, the image I posted in the last post, this started when I installed Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.