Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I have a late 2013 13" MBP and it just seemed a bit choppy with 10.9 however after installing Yosemite over Mavericks, performance and battery have greatly increased.

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
Not only that, I have always had the Wifi problem with Mavericks on my MBA 2013.

The Wifi never came on after sleep, or used to go off after some time if the machine was on.

Now the Wifi is rock solid and connects every time after sleep.

I am happy with the public beta.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Definitely going to disagree on "smoother". There's plenty of stutters and lag when transparency is enabled on my 2013 MacBook Air.

For example Mission Control is super choppy, especially with an external display attached.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Definitely going to disagree on "smoother". There's plenty of stutters and lag when transparency is enabled on my 2013 MacBook Air.

For example Mission Control is super choppy, especially with an external display attached.

I would agree. I wouldn't say it was smoother, theres still work to be done on refining the UI etc. It's quite solid though.

superyamid

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
Not sure enough

I also have a pro late 2013 13'' and animations for mission control, app exposé, scrolling in finder and stock folders in grid mode are all sluggish, all of these were smooth on Mavericks. I guess there is still some work to do with UI too.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
I also have a pro late 2013 13'' and animations for mission control, app exposé, scrolling in finder and stock folders in grid mode are all sluggish, all of these were smooth on Mavericks. I guess there is still some work to do with UI too.

Same with my good old 2010 MBP. Everything was smooth with Mavericks. Now it's laggy. But it's normal, still a beta.

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
I'm also on the late 2013 MBP and I agree. Especially Safari scrolling is smoother. Mission control etc is smooth most of the time but drop frames once in a while. I think there's still some optimizations and enhancements to be made in Yosemite but when it's ready for release i think it will be a better experience than Mavericks.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Not only that, I have always had the Wifi problem with Mavericks on my MBA 2013.

The Wifi never came on after sleep, or used to go off after some time if the machine was on.

Now the Wifi is rock solid and connects every time after sleep.

I am happy with the public beta.

Your issue I had on my RMBP but was fixed with their latest mavericks update.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
2013 MBP, I can't say its smoother or faster but I like the looks and its definitely not slower. I wonder how much of this thread is placebo effect like with any software update.

sharon22

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
I have a mid 2007 iMac, and Yosemite was SLOW, JERKY, CHOPPY, so bad that I *immediately* got out my backup drives and restored my Mavericks Backup.

I'm now running Mavericks, and I am so happy right now. Everything is smooth as silk, I feel like I'm operating a top-dog computer!

sharon22

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
On my 2007 iMac, it is extra jerky and choppy. I guess Yosemite takes advantage of the multi-core processors and higher-end graphics of the newer computers.

It looks like on newer computers, Yosemite is smooth as silk.

For me, it's just the opposite.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
On my 2007 iMac, it is extra jerky and choppy. I guess Yosemite takes advantage of the multi-core processors and higher-end graphics of the newer computers.

It looks like on newer computers, Yosemite is smooth as silk.

For me, it's just the opposite.

nah. the guy told mission control was choppy on MBA 2013. it's smooth on my MBA 2012, but choppy on 2007 iMac. it's just buggy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.