Yosemite on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jekjones1558, Oct 18, 2014.

1. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

I debated about whether to upgrade to Yosemite on my MacBook Pro. I was worried about how it would perform on such an old computer. I finally decided to give it a try and, worst case scenario, I would have to buy a new laptop (but hoping to wait until new Air ones are out). It took FOREVER to download and install. It was unbelievably slow and jerky and I was regretting big time my decision. Then I did a permissions repair and there were a LOT of changes. I restarted and, boy, what a difference. Just thought that I would post my experience in case there are any others out there debating whether or not to install Yosemite on an old machine.

2. cosminsel macrumors member

cosminsel

Did you install by upgrade? I did a clean install on my mid-2010 MBP and it seems fine.

3. jekjones1558 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the upgrade via App Store. Guess I didn't even consider doing a clean install. It is working okay now though after the permissions repair and restart.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yosemite shouldn't really me any slower than Mavericks* on most machines.

*Except on machines with older integrated GPUs.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Likely your permissions needed a repair before the upgrade...

6. jekjones1558 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I had just repaired permissions and backed up before doing the upgrade.