Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
I debated about whether to upgrade to Yosemite on my MacBook Pro. I was worried about how it would perform on such an old computer. I finally decided to give it a try and, worst case scenario, I would have to buy a new laptop (but hoping to wait until new Air ones are out). It took FOREVER to download and install. It was unbelievably slow and jerky and I was regretting big time my decision. Then I did a permissions repair and there were a LOT of changes. I restarted and, boy, what a difference. Just thought that I would post my experience in case there are any others out there debating whether or not to install Yosemite on an old machine.

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
Did you install by upgrade? I did a clean install on my mid-2010 MBP and it seems fine.

I did the upgrade via App Store. Guess I didn't even consider doing a clean install. It is working okay now though after the permissions repair and restart.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Yosemite shouldn't really me any slower than Mavericks* on most machines.

*Except on machines with older integrated GPUs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.