Yosemite on Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by js81, Oct 17, 2014.

1. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Anybody upgraded to Yosemite on their Core 2 Duo machines, specifically either the Mac Mini Server or late-09 Macbook Pro? I've got a 2.53GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, homemade Fusion drive (120GB SSD and 500GB HDD) and Mavericks runs OK on it (not what I'd call "snappy," though). Snow Leopard was a little faster, though not tremendously - Mavericks was worth the slight slow-down. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Oh, and I already know that its within the system requirements and that'll it'll run OK... I'm looking for boots-on-the-ground experience with it, if you have any. Thanks in advance!

(Side note: Will upgrading to Yosemite break my homemade Fusion drive?)

2. JaHull macrumors member

I have a the late 2009 Macbook Pro 13" with 2.53GHz C2D and 4GB RAM and a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD and have had the Yosemite beta installed for a few months now and I can say it is has been running perfectly, one or two hiccups but that was to be expected due to it being in beta but since the latest beta and now release I haven't had any issues what so ever.

The main thing I can see which gives the performance is the SSD, runs a bit slugging on my 2009 iMac i7 with a hard drive but so did Mavericks, things appear to run a bit faster but that may be due to a clean install. If you have a SSD it should run as fast as Mavericks if not faster.

As for the homemade fusion drive I can not comment on that since I've never used one.

3. animalsanimals macrumors newbie

Installed Yosemite on MacMini late 2009. 4GB

Very choppy. Frequently unresponsive. Finder window keeps filling with garbled graphics. I've seen the spinning wheel of death more often than I did during the entire time Mavericks was on the machine. Screen often goes completely black.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Running Yosemite as an upgrade over Mavericks on my 2.4GHz Aluminium MacBook with 8GB RAM.

Mavericks felt choppy and gross compared to this - this feels so much smoother, scrolling is perfect, transition animations are slick, it feels like a much newer machine.

5. animalsanimals macrumors newbie

Actually…

things are getting better. Possibly something to do with indexing after the initial install?

6. JaHull macrumors member

Indexing can slow the machine down quite considerably, so if it was just at the start it is most probably that which caused the issues

7. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I've set it up on a C2D with 8gb of RAM. Doesn't seem to be running any worse than Mavericks..

8. D1STORT1ON macrumors newbie

D1STORT1ON

I have it on a 2008 Macbook pro (could be 09, I forget)

Anyway, in my experience it runs much better than Mavericks.

9. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

Great; thanks for the replies, all! I've been a little disappointed with Mavericks, but it hasn't really been any slower than Snow Leopard. I guess I'll give it a shot then, but I'll be cloning my Mavericks install beforehand. :D

10. animalsanimals macrumors newbie

Those problems must have been caused by indexing. Everything's settled down now. Haven't seen a spinning wheel in a while.

Seems a slice more zippier than Mavericks.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

You're happy?

About to install on my 2.26 C2D Mini. Four gigs ram.

Everything okay with your install now?

12. animalsanimals macrumors newbie

Yes. Seems to be fine.

The only problem now is that I want a 5K display.

13. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I have it on my mid 09 MBP 15"/2.53/4GB/250SSD. I installed and cloned the SSD yesterday after installing Yosemite on my HDD. I have 8GB of crucial RAM coming on Tuesday but even with 4GB, everything is running fine. I had some beach balls when closing some apps briefly while on the HDD. All works perfect on the SSD.

Yosemite and a new SSD makes it feel like a brand new computer. I love it.

14. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a