Yosemite on Mid-2010 MBP?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by v0lume4, Oct 17, 2014.

1. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Hello!

I have a quick question for any 13" mid-2010 MBP users of Yosemite. My laptop already drags its feet as its running a Core 2 Duo. It's not slow--but when you compare it to my iPhone or modern Macs, it's only average. My question to anyone that also has the same MacBook--did Yosemite cripple your computer's performance? With my iPad 2, iOS 7 took my iPad's speed from great to "meh." I wouldn't want the same to happen to my laptop.

Thank you for your help!

2. grayter1 macrumors newbie

My MBP 17" Mid 2010 has slowed considerably since I updated to 10.10 this morning. I normally do a clean install, but opted to install over Mavericks. I'n not sure if a clean install will make a difference in performance or not.

3. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

Installed Yosemite on my mid-2010 15" i5 last night and didn't notice much of a difference in speed but I have dual SSD drives and 8GB ram. Installed over mavericks and programs like Photoshop run just as well as before.

If you haven't switched to an SSD, I highly recommend it.

4. cosminsel macrumors member

cosminsel

Felt a bit sluggish on my 15" mid-2010 MBP (2.53 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, GeForce 330M) at first, but then I disabled some of the animations with TinkerTool and reduced the transparency in System Preferences. Seems ok now.