Yosemite on Non-Retina displays

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by osx11, Oct 17, 2014.

1. osx11 macrumors 6502a

It seems as though OS X Yosemite is optimized for retina displays.

How do you guys like it on non-Retina displays!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm on a 2012 cMBP and it looks just fine to me.

3. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I'm on a late 2013 iMac 21.5" and it looks great ! Font's are fine, there is still a few that are ok-ish but they are very rare. 99.9% of the system is amazing on my iMac :D And the other 0.1% is so small that it doesn't bother me :)

PS - I actually prefer the new font on my iMac!

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

5. GrumpyTrucker macrumors 6502a

27" late 2012 iMac here and it seems fine so far. Text in Messages seems a little harder to read than elsewhere. Looks a tiny bit more blurry with the white on blue. Black on grey looks fine.

6. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Haven't had any problems with my late 2011 MBP and my 2006 MacPro with HDMI. Smooth and clear!

7. finbred macrumors newbie

Absolutely horrible on my 10 year old 23" Cinema Display and 22" 1680x1050 Eizo. But not all of it, this text I'm writing is fine. But in Mail everything but the message list (system font) window is awful. So yes, reading messages provokes gagging. And no, not a single font works better than Helvetica, except for the system font, but I can't set that for messages. How stupid is that? The system font is also used in iTunes, except for the sidebar when visible (playlists and when an iPhone is connected).

But unfortunately the top menu font is now a washed out grey blur, including drop down menus. Also in Safari – The URLs are ok as are the favorites, but not their drop bar menus.

[​IMG]

8. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

mid 2009 MBP, looks and works perfect. I love the design. I'll be updating my wife's late 2011 MBP later today.

9. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

menus in dark mode here could be sharper (fonts are a bit jagged); but not enough to be an issue. dark mode is awesome... :cool:

10. Quantus macrumors regular

Try this:

11. finbred macrumors newbie

Ah, didn't know the LCD smoothening required re-logging in to take effect. Phew, much better now, thanks...

12. Russell L macrumors regular

Looks OK on my early 2011 17" MBP, but it seems that some of the system fonts got a tad smaller. The font size in Contacts, for example, looks way too small to me now, and I can't find a way to increase it. Anyone know? There used to be a specific menu option to make the text bigger, but now it's gone. :(