Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
For me, It's hard to undo years of being familiar with the way a certain thing looks, especially when I still frequently go back to my production machine with Mavericks on it. An empty wi-fi bar of signal strength on Mavericks is "bolder" than a full bar on Yosemite.

For example: Image has Yosemite up top with full signal strength, Mavericks below with wi-fi on, but not connected to a network. Translucent menu bar is enabled on both.

Could you post the Yosemite one with wi-fi on but not connected to a network against the Mavericks one.

machpanic

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2014
For me, It's hard to undo years of being familiar with the way a certain thing looks, especially when I still frequently go back to my production machine with Mavericks on it.
Yes, this is my experience as well. Some things in Yosemite feel weird to me. On the other hand when I go back to Mavericks it looks a bit dated in comparison so I'm not happy in either of them :p

An empty wi-fi bar of signal strength on Mavericks is "bolder" than a full bar on Yosemite. For example: Image has Yosemite up top with full signal strength, Mavericks below with wi-fi on, but not connected to a network. Translucent menu bar is enabled on both.
I think they will fix this in some way before GM.

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
Could you post the Yosemite one with wi-fi on but not connected to a network against the Mavericks one.

Yosemite top, wi-fi on, not connected
Mavericks below, wi-fi on, not connected

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-03 at 11.08.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-03 at 11.08.50 AM.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 100

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
late 2012 21.5" imac. fonts are really disturbing; specially on dark mode.

I just put that in full screen on my 21.5" iMac. All the fonts on both the webpage and the settings app look fine. I think Font Smoothing just is not enabled for dark mode yet.

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
Don't get me wrong, I think Yosemite looks great! It's just difficult to go back and forth between Yosemite and Mavericks during this pre-release period.

For example, I'm working on Mavericks on my production iMac and I see I have signal strength, then later I'm on Yosemite on my Air at the coffee shop and I have to frequently check to make sure I'm connected to the public wi-fi.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Apple used a 27" iMac to showcase Yosemite so that can't be "killing off" non-retina devices.

----------

It's looked very good on my mid 2011 iMac so far except the drop down menus in Dark Mode look mushy.

When I full screen all of these screenshots to my iMac, they look great part from Dark Mode dropdowns.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Only thing I don't like so far...when app is not in foreground, such as disk utility, the text is grayed out so much, hard to read, something that's probably fine on retina displays, but too light for non-retina.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Yosemite top, wi-fi on, not connected
Mavericks below, wi-fi on, not connected

Well, I could see the confusion if you're going back and forward between Yosemite and Mavericks, but that's not a fault on Yosemite, after a few hours used to Yosemite you can tell the difference if you have a connection or not.

Once all your Macs are running Yosemite I see no problem with this.

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
Well, I could see the confusion if you're going back and forward between Yosemite and Mavericks, but that's not a fault on Yosemite, after a few hours used to Yosemite you can tell the difference if you have a connection or not.

Once all your Macs are running Yosemite I see no problem with this.

Been running public betas since 10.0 and Mac OS since System 6, I'm used to change. I expect I wouldn't have much of an issue adjusting if I was not constantly going back and forth. I was just trying to demonstrate what chrf097 was mentioning earlier:

I have no idea how any of you are missing the WiFi icon.

I'm on a Late 2011 MBP and the Wi-Fi icon is very visible and easy to see.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
For me, It's hard to undo years of being familiar with the way a certain thing looks, especially when I still frequently go back to my production machine with Mavericks on it. An empty wi-fi bar of signal strength on Mavericks is "bolder" than a full bar on Yosemite.

For example: Image has Yosemite up top with full signal strength, Mavericks below with wi-fi on, but not connected to a network. Translucent menu bar is enabled on both.

There's still a noticeable color difference between on and off though.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I loaded it on some 2010 Macbook 7,1 laptops. It ran as well on them as it does on a rMBP. If you have a problem, likely it is Yosemite beta....not the machine you are running it on.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Still not real happy with the way certain things look on non-retina displays. The fonts in many places are just too thin and jaggy.

Last edited:

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Still not real happy with the way certain things look on non-retina displays. The fonts in many places are just too thin and jaggy.
Just gonna have to accept it. At this point it's clear to me it's not something Apple wants to or is able to fix. They chose to use a font that gave retina users the benefit at the expense of non-retina users.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Just gonna have to accept it. At this point it's clear to me it's not something Apple wants to or is able to fix. They chose to use a font that gave retina users the benefit at the expense of non-retina users.

Which I could understand if there was a retina iMac or retina 27" Apple display option. But unless we are in for a surprise here in the next couple of months, it isn't an option.

puelocesar

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
How does it look? I have the fear it will look awfully pixelated on my 27" iMac because of all the thin lines.

Looks terrible on my late 2009 Macbook.

Font's are terribly rendered and round corners have ugly artifacts. Installing a patch to change Helvetica to Lucida Grande somehow made it less worse, but it's still bad, in comparison with Mavericks.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Looks terrible on my late 2009 Macbook.

Font's are terribly rendered and round corners have ugly artifacts. Installing a patch to change Helvetica to Lucida Grande somehow made it less worse, but it's still bad, in comparison with Mavericks.

Looks pretty decent on my 2011 MBP. I barely notice the pixelation.

puelocesar

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
Looks pretty decent on my 2011 MBP. I barely notice the pixelation.

Hi, do your macbook use a NVidia card? I'm starting to think its a driver issue, and i'm starting to worry that Apple wont provide a fix because its a very old card

Anitramane

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2013
Only thing I don't like so far...when app is not in foreground, such as disk utility, the text is grayed out so much, hard to read, something that's probably fine on retina displays, but too light for non-retina.
For me the whiteness of everything will make me keep mavericks untill there is a perfectly working systemwide dark mode. It just strains my eyes looking at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.