yosemite performance on 2009 MB pro

born2runak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Im debating on upgrading to the new OS. I have a 2009 MBpro 2.66ghz intel core 2 duo, 500 gb Hd (no SSD), 4 GB ram (planning on bumping this up to 8 Gb very soon). Just wondering if anyone here has any input on performance with the new OS. I would really like to get a newer Macbook but dont have the money right now. Not really a fan of the new look of the OS but I figure I have to upgrade sooner or later. Mostly worried about performance though.

rezk0

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
Im debating on upgrading to the new OS. I have a 2009 MBpro 2.66ghz intel core 2 duo, 500 gb Hd (no SSD), 4 GB ram (planning on bumping this up to 8 Gb very soon). Just wondering if anyone here has any input on performance with the new OS. I would really like to get a newer Macbook but dont have the money right now. Not really a fan of the new look of the OS but I figure I have to upgrade sooner or later. Mostly worried about performance though.
I have the same model, Mid-2009 2.66GHz C2D with upgraded RAM (8GB) and an SSD. I didn't see any real performance changes between Mavericks and Yosemite.

goknicks

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
I have the same model, Mid-2009 2.66GHz C2D with upgraded RAM (8GB) and an SSD. I didn't see any real performance changes between Mavericks and Yosemite.
Same model and upgrades, Mid-2009 2.66 GHZ, upgraded to 8GB RAM and SSD (kept the HDD as a secondary)

only thing I noticed was (knock on wood) I don't lose wifi after sleep, which happened a lot on Mavericks

born2runak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
@goknicks
That's good to know, that was a pain

----------

Same model with 4 gigs and no ssd. Performance is the same if not slightly better. If it is, it's not noticeable.
I have to upgrade to 8 , my ram is virtually nonexistent, and mine needs the performance boost. Good to know it runs as well with the 4. I was afraid it might be a bit taxing on the system.

Icehawk

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
I'm lost.
I have to upgrade to 8 , my ram is virtually nonexistent, and mine needs the performance boost. Good to know it runs as well with the 4. I was afraid it might be a bit taxing on the system.
The way osx uses ram now, I always see most of my ram in use, but the pressure has yet to spike. I considered upgrading to 8, but decided if I'm going to upgrade anything I'd buy an SSD when it was on sale instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.