yosemite performance on 2009 MB pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by born2runak, Oct 26, 2014.

1. born2runak macrumors regular

Im debating on upgrading to the new OS. I have a 2009 MBpro 2.66ghz intel core 2 duo, 500 gb Hd (no SSD), 4 GB ram (planning on bumping this up to 8 Gb very soon). Just wondering if anyone here has any input on performance with the new OS. I would really like to get a newer Macbook but dont have the money right now. Not really a fan of the new look of the OS but I figure I have to upgrade sooner or later. Mostly worried about performance though.

2. rezk0 macrumors newbie

I have the same model, Mid-2009 2.66GHz C2D with upgraded RAM (8GB) and an SSD. I didn't see any real performance changes between Mavericks and Yosemite.

3. goknicks macrumors member

Same model and upgrades, Mid-2009 2.66 GHZ, upgraded to 8GB RAM and SSD (kept the HDD as a secondary)

only thing I noticed was (knock on wood) I don't lose wifi after sleep, which happened a lot on Mavericks

4. Icehawk macrumors member

Icehawk

Same model with 4 gigs and no ssd. I haven't seen any noticeable performance changes.

5. born2runak thread starter macrumors regular

@goknicks
    That's good to know, that was a pain

----------

I have to upgrade to 8 , my ram is virtually nonexistent, and mine needs the performance boost. Good to know it runs as well with the 4. I was afraid it might be a bit taxing on the system.

6. Icehawk macrumors member

Icehawk

The way osx uses ram now, I always see most of my ram in use, but the pressure has yet to spike. I considered upgrading to 8, but decided if I'm going to upgrade anything I'd buy an SSD when it was on sale instead.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I have the 2.26ghz model, and it does fine. A bit slow to download movies in iTunes, but that might be my internet connection.