Yosemite Public Beta and iCloud

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by roland.g, Jul 24, 2014.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Other than iCloud Drive and the Existing Documents and Data, what possible danger is there to iCloud data, ie. email, contacts, bookmarks, photo stream, etc. in installing the public beta.

I will be installing on my 2012 MBA, not my main machine, the iMac. But I don't want any iCloud issues with my daily usage. I don't run iTunes or iPhoto or Aperture on my MBA. Those libraries are empty. I only use the MBA for M$ Office, web, email, etc. and all docs are synced via dropbox.

Thx.

2. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Installing the beta isn't the issue; you can potentially run into issues if you upgrade to iCloud Drive after installing the beta, but that's not mandatory.

I don't plan on upgrading right away because I use Pages a lot, so I can't speak to whether or not it affects backups and synch data.

3. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

I'll continue to use Mail, Calendar, Notes, Reminders and Messages as standard, but I won't be using any of the iCloud features such as iCloud Drive, Photo Stream, iCloud Photo's and Mail Drop as this would lead to two iCloud accounts.

4. menano macrumors regular

menano

Agreeing to iCloud drive removes everything iCloud from any device you have that still doesn't have OSX10 or iOS8

5. oMc macrumors 6502

oMc

Just don't upgrade to iCloud Drive and you won't have any problem, as recommended by Apple.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Sage advice. If I hadn't taken the time to peruse the board before I installed DP 1, i probably would have lost all that I had in the cloud. Seeing this thread reminded me to not make that mistake, when I get to the install setup section.

7. mchachashvili macrumors newbie

Question

Hi,

You mean, Yosemite does not require from the user to upgrade to iCloud drive, do I correctly understand your comment?

8. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Correct.

9. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Unfortunately I was prepping by external install drive and posting this thread before grabbing my code, not sure how the process worked and now the beta page is down.

10. mchachashvili macrumors newbie

So, I can steel use the iCloud service exactly as I did on Mavericks, with all data on it right now, including Contacts and anything else?

Sorry if i disturb you with a lot of questions, I simply worry about all the data I have on it, because I work with it every day! So want to be sure I will not lose the data!

11. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Yes, as long as you don't upgrade.

12. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

iCloud drive is working!

at least with numbers docs.etc:)

may start swapping all docs from dropbox when I find the time

13. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

does answer your iPhone calls via macbook work yet....not sure is continuity or handoff just wondered shattered after working today so will look at new Yosemite features this weekend

14. brian017 macrumors regular

You can still enable it once Yosemite and iOS8 are officially released right?

15. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Probably already answered, but how do I let the beta access the MAS and pages documents without upgrading to the iCloud drive thing. I hit the SKIP with it asked about signing into iCloud because I was afraid it would mess with my documents and such.

How exactly do I use the normal iCloud without screwing up everything?

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Yes.

----------

I just created a thread on this subject. Unless I am missing a setting somewhere, I don't see how we can use the old iCloud setup under Yosemite. It looks like I will have to manually copy the documents over and have them on the computer, instead of in the cloud and accessible by Yosemite.

17. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

So, if I try to use the MAS will this screw up my documents when I input my email and password to authorize for downloads?

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The MAS account and password (in and of itself) isn't affected nor does that have to change unless yo want it to (re:settings).

If you enable the new iCloud feature, you will lose everything you have in the cloud right now.