Yosemite Question - Will restoring from my Time Machine backup disrupt my Mavericks ?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by pk314, Jul 25, 2014.

1. pk314, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014

pk314 macrumors member

Hey,

I recently installed Yosemite Public Beta on a separate partition on my SSD and when I was installing it, it asked me if I wanted to set up from a time machine back up. My question is, if I restore the Yosemite part from a time machine back up, will that do anything to my Mavericks partition? I'm confused so I'm not sure if I'm wording this right. But, in other words, i want all my apps and settings from my Mavericks partition to be transferred into the Yosemite part without affecting the Mavericks partition? Also, if I decide I longer want to use Yosemite, do I just delete/erase that partition? Sorry if that was confusing.

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you Migration Assistant (that's what that was you saw asking about TM import) from Yosemite to import a Mavs backup from your TM disk, it will not impact the Mavs partition at all.

Yes, if you want to dump Yosemite you can just remove the partition then expand the Mavs one back into the free space. Some are finding Yosemite install itself as a core storage partition that can't be deleted normally. See this.