Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dho81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
San Francisco
On my MBPr, I am prompted for my iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, etc password EVERY single time I reboot. Is there a way for it to just remember? It doesn't do this on my Mac Pro so I'm just wondering what the deal is. It's just a little annoyance and then it sends notification on all my devices that I've logged in on another machine...

Thoughts?

.ImNuMBeR1

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Cambridge, UK
On my MBPr, I am prompted for my iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, etc password EVERY single time I reboot. Is there a way for it to just remember? It doesn't do this on my Mac Pro so I'm just wondering what the deal is. It's just a little annoyance and then it sends notification on all my devices that I've logged in on another machine...

Thoughts?

It could possibly be due to the security measures of iCloud, etc. I had to call Apple about it doing the same thing on my MBA. It doesn't keep asking for one at the moment though so I'm a little confused. Do you have a "app-specific" password from your Apple ID at all?

Go to http://appleid.apple.com and go to "Manage your Apple ID". (Login) and go to "Password and security". Do you have an app-specific password at all?

I used it a few times but I don't get notifications to enter one much.

dho81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
San Francisco
I don't mind the notifications. It's mostly the fact that I seem to have to log into my iMessage/iCloud/Facetime accounts every single time I reboot. This doesn't happen on my Mac Pro so I'm a little confused as to why it is happening on my Macbook Pro. Both are running the same OS versions.

mikeutter

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
I don't mind the notifications. It's mostly the fact that I seem to have to log into my iMessage/iCloud/Facetime accounts every single time I reboot. This doesn't happen on my Mac Pro so I'm a little confused as to why it is happening on my Macbook Pro. Both are running the same OS versions.

This happened to me too and was driving me nuts for sometime.

Do you have 2-factor authentication for iCloud enabled? If not/don't know, then try this if you haven't already:

1. Login to iCloud from System Preferences.
  2. Then Sign Out (Don't worry, though your stuff will be deleted locally, cloud copies will be OK).
  3. Reboot.
  4. Go to iCloud in System Preferences and Sign In.

Does it work?

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
IMO, managing iCloud has become messier than ever. Like the OP, I get prompted to enter my iCloud password when I reboot, but not on every computer that uses the same account. Even if I cancel the prompts, I stay logged in. Apple's implementation of app-specific passwords hasn't made things any easier, and managing Handoff and Continuity on multiple devices is torture. Whatever happened to "it just works"?

Reactions: !!!

dho81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
San Francisco
Tried this a few days ago--it's still asking me for passwords every once in a while even not having rebooted.

This happened to me too and was driving me nuts for sometime.

Do you have 2-factor authentication for iCloud enabled? If not/don't know, then try this if you haven't already:

1. Login to iCloud from System Preferences.
  2. Then Sign Out (Don't worry, though your stuff will be deleted locally, cloud copies will be OK).
  3. Reboot.
  4. Go to iCloud in System Preferences and Sign In.

Does it work?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I have two Macs: a 2011 MacBook Pro and a 2013 Mac mini. My mini asks after each reboot. I have two factor authentication enabled, but I suspect a bug with Yosemite because it refuses my iCloud password during the popup and says I need to assign an app specific password, but the website gives me an iMessage one and that fails too. So I hit cancel on the password popup and things are fine.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino

Thoughts?

So much for Single Sign On ...

Messages and FaceTime don't support two step verification, create an Application Password and paste it into Messages Preferences/Accounts and you'll stop being prompted. The bug is the prompt requesting iCloud password, the iCloud password doesn't work here.

You create an Application Password at the Apple ID website.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
So much for Single Sign On ...

Messages and FaceTime don't support two step verification, create an Application Password and paste it into Messages Preferences/Accounts and you'll stop being prompted. The bug is the prompt requesting iCloud password, the iCloud password doesn't work here.

You create an Application Password at the Apple ID website.

I tried entering the password in iMessage/FaceTime applications but the popup still happened if I logged out and logged in again. The popup did stop coming for me when I entered the iMessage/Facetime password in the popup box. I verified that by logging out and logging in again.

dho81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
San Francisco
Ugh...this is still happening and sometimes without even restarting (waking up from sleep). It's absolutely unnecessary and annoying. Occasionally it asks me for the password twice in succession and it is doing it for icloud, imessage, and facetime... isn't the point of the apple id on a personal computer to just log into all these things anyway??? I've tried everything short of reinstalling the OS.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Ugh...this is still happening and sometimes without even restarting (waking up from sleep). It's absolutely unnecessary and annoying. Occasionally it asks me for the password twice in succession and it is doing it for icloud, imessage, and facetime... isn't the point of the apple id on a personal computer to just log into all these things anyway??? I've tried everything short of reinstalling the OS.

I had this problem and solved it by creating an app-specific password for my Mac.

The next time your Mac asks for an iCloud password, set that dialog box aside and follow these instructions to generate an app-specific password. Copy the password that gets generated. Then, paste it into every dialog box from your Mac that asks for your iCloud password. The prompts should then go away.

It's some issue with 2-step authentication.

Last edited:

dho81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
San Francisco
I had this problem and solved it by creating an app-specific password for my Mac.

The next time your Mac asks for an iCloud password, set that dialog box aside and follow these instructions to generate an app-specific password. Copy the password that gets generated. Then, paste it into every dialog box from your Mac that asks for your iCloud password. The prompts should then go away.

It's some issue with 2-step authentication.

Tried this recently. Now it doesn't require me to log in but it still sends me notifications via email and pop up that I've "logged into yada yada on Mac Book Pro." The randomness of this is mind boggling.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I recently started having this problem.

Apple's advice was to sign out/reset iCloud on every device it's signed into (including tv, Watch, etc.).

I'll just live with the popups... too much work.

dho81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
San Francisco
Changing password doesn't work. It seems to be something glitchy with the install (since it never happened on any of my other macs). I've since upgraded to the El Capitan Beta on the problem computer with a fresh install and i haven't had the issue since.

Reactions: Brien
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.