Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trigf

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
So I've noticed that when my rMBP (Late 2013 model) is sleeping, it's not performing it's hourly Time Machine backups.

The machine will back up just fine as long as it's on, but when it's off, it's not backing up at all.

I do have Power Nap enabled in the System Preferences for both Battery and Power Adapter.

Looking through my Time Machine, I can see that my last backup was yesterday at 5:59 pm, when I closed the rMBP, and plugged it into the power adapter.

Then another backup this morning at 8:36 am, a couple of minutes after I opened it up.

Any thoughts?

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Not really an answer to your question, but I am curious why you would want hourly backups of a sleeping computer. Aren't those zero delta backups?

I mean, technically, if Powernap is on, it may be downloading your e-mails, etc. which can all be stored on your computer.

So you could want to back that up.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Time machine only backs up during power nap when connected to a time capsule and the laptop is plugged into the mains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.