Yosemite + Samsung EVO 840 = errors!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CalvinWatterson, Dec 1, 2014.

1. CalvinWatterson macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I´m having a weird problem with my laptop:

MPB 13" 2010 upgraded with 8GBs RAM and an SSD (OCZ vertex 2 120GB), everything went OK even in Yosemite.

Now I purchased a Samsung 840EVO 250GBs and decided to do a clean install (internet recovery). I installed Trim Enabler, which disabled the kext signing policy, and enabled TRIM.

From now on, every time I switch off the MBP, the system partition breaks. On the startup the recovery partition will launch, the Disk Utility will recover the partition and will reboot fine.

I tried resetting PRAM, SMC (and re-disabling kext signing, that reactivates doing the resets) and also updated my new SSD firmware with the "Samsung Performance Recovery for MAC"
    http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...t/downloads.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170

But the problem persists. I can use my system for hours (and days) without any noticeable problem. Even running Disk Utility just before shutdown will not show errors at all...

2. Furry.Marsupial macrumors newbie

Furry.Marsupial

Does it do it if you don't muck about with the Kext signing ?

Personally, after a lot of reading I decided to leave Trim off. Not enough or any upside for "average" use. But, that's just me.

Colin

3. 0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

4. CalvinWatterson thread starter macrumors newbie

@Furry.Marsupial I´ll try that. Now I´m installing a W7 (whole disk) and later I´ll put Mavericks (to discard there´s a physical issue with the new SSD)

I´ve read that the TRIM support is way important to keep the SSD healthy and fast. So, mixed feelings about disabling TRIM.

@0x100 By patching you mean enabling the TRIM support?