Yosemite = Swift compiled?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by walkie, Jun 6, 2014.

1. walkie macrumors 6502

Hi All, as we all know last monday Apple brought out a new programming language called 'Swift', they said that this language was several times faster than Objective-C, so I'm curious to know whether parts of Yosemite are being compiled in Swift or not, if so maybe this could be translated in a performance gain, so what do guys think about it?

2. PsykX macrumors 6502a

I don't think it is. There have been a lot of changes in Yosemite in under a year. It's already a design, programming and engineering marvel. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but Swift is iOS-exclusive as of now.

3. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if Swift is only for iOS, I thought it was for the whole Mac Platform, I know most OS's have C and C++ code underneath but some parts can certainly be coded in any language.

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

From https://developer.apple.com/swift/

5. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

You can be pretty sure all of 10.10 is still in either C/C++ (core stuff like kernel and libraries) and Objective C (Cocoa-related things).

You are most certainly wrong.

6. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

I would doubt they rewrote the OS or really any of it as yet.

Will they? Yeah probably. But I would look at the pace of the 64-bit transition, even now parts of the OS have yet to be ported but they are slowly getting there.

7. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Swift was created for more efficient application development.

Operating systems are generally written in C.

8. PsykX macrumors 6502a

Wow, okay ! I knew it would come within next year on OS X, but right now already ? I'm impressed.:eek:

9. c1phr macrumors 6502

You're right, and most of OSX's underlying components that are from the BSD project are in C and Assembly. The higher-level frameworks like Cocoa are all written in Objective-C, and could potentially be candidates for Swift translation.