Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike mike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
I prefer test certain things on a virtual machine before install them on the main computer, so I created a Fusion 8.0 virtual machine for Yosemite. Not only the Yosemite VM runs very slow, but also has a rather low resolution desktop. In the mean time, Windows 10 VM runs as great as that on the MacBook (13" Early 2015) and in high resolution.

What did I do wrong? Does OSX virtual machine always run slow and in low resolution?

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
You might have Console spitting out things in an endless stream about issues with graphics - that could bogging down Yosemite just like it does when I try Mavericks with VMWare Fusion 7 - I usually put and end to Console output with a Terminal command - that helps some. I also make sure to install the VMWare Drivers.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I prefer test certain things on a virtual machine before install them on the main computer, so I created a Fusion 8.0 virtual machine for Yosemite. Not only the Yosemite VM runs very slow, but also has a rather low resolution desktop. In the mean time, Windows 10 VM runs as great as that on the MacBook (13" Early 2015) and in high resolution.

What did I do wrong? Does OSX virtual machine always run slow and in low resolution?
There are some issues with Yosemite in virtual machines. Follow the link here for information on what's behind it, and how to fix it: https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/12/13/improving-yosemite-vm-performance-in-vmware-fusion/
That page has a link to an application called BeamOff which dramatically improves Yosemite's responsiveness when you run it inside the VM.
Also, for more resolution in the VM, just drag the window bigger, and the virtual machine will automatically readjust to fit.

Reactions: mike mike

mike mike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
There are some issues with Yosemite in virtual machines. Follow the link here for information on what's behind it, and how to fix it: https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/12/13/improving-yosemite-vm-performance-in-vmware-fusion/
That page has a link to an application called BeamOff which dramatically improves Yosemite's responsiveness when you run it inside the VM.
Also, for more resolution in the VM, just drag the window bigger, and the virtual machine will automatically readjust to fit.

Hi chrfr, this is extremely helpful. :) The BeamOff thing got the slowliness addressed!

On the other hand, the resolution still appears an issue. I run OSX VM in full screen. The default res was 1024x768. Under the scale up option, only 1024x768 was listed. Can hi-res be used? It seems Win10 runs fine in high-res in VM. Does OSX only run in this res in VM?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi chrfr, this is extremely helpful. :) The BeamOff thing got the slowliness addressed!

On the other hand, the resolution still appears an issue. I run OSX VM in full screen. The default res was 1024x768. Under the scale up option, only 1024x768 was listed. Can hi-res be used? It seems Win10 runs fine in high-res in VM. Does OSX only run in this res in VM?
You'll have to avoid using it in full screen, but if you drag the window in normal mode to take up your full display, the VM will adjust its resolution accordingly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.