You can cram a lot into an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sunday888, Jul 13, 2007.

1. sunday888 macrumors member

When I first heard that the iPhone storage was 8GB at best I was a bit disappointed. No way would that be enough. But I have to say that I'm amazed at how much stuff I can pack into my iPhone.

I've got 293 songs, 596 photos, 4 movies (about 7.5 hours total), 10 music videos, 6 little home movies, and a bunch of podcasts. And I've still got 1.5GB available. It's not a substitute for my 60GB iPod, but there's enough entertainment on the iPhone to keep me occupied for well beyond its battery life.

Just another pleasant surprise with this device!

2. timmypv15 macrumors regular

I also think that 8 gigs is adequate for the phone. Isn't the reason you have a lot of music on an iPod to keep you occupied? I think that its fine because you don't need music to keep you occupied anymore, you have things like the web and maps and all that other stuff that can fill the void.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

8 gb is certainly adequate. i've got roughly 825 songs, 325 photos, 2 full-length movies and a short movie with over 2 gb available. it's certainly got what i need.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have 4 GB, which I found isn't really adequate. But it will do just fine, as I do not absolutely need hundreds of photos or movies on the device. But I'll go for the higher memory once I'm ready to upgrade in 1 or 2 years.

5. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Yeah who needs to worry about space when you have this website:

http://www.seeqpod.com/iphone/#_home

its awesome every song streamed at you fingertips:) It my favorite iPhone site by far...

6. Wmusic macrumors newbie

THANK YOU!

7. jbc25 macrumors newbie

I don't expect that site to be around for very long. Enjoy it while you can.

8. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Why do you say that?

9. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

i am very surprised you have all that stuff in your iPhone. 4 movies?! are these itunes movies or ones you have ripped?

10. fart macrumors regular

yep, 8 gigs is more than enough for a few episodes of Heros, a bunch of podcasts ( audio and video) and a fair amount of my music. No complaints here

11. gschumsky macrumors member

I too have 4 movies I've ripped to full resolution, about 300 songs, 144 photos, and room to spare.

12. jbc25 macrumors newbie

The service is of questionable legality. All of that content is copyrighted material.

Even though its just streaming, and the music is not hosted on their severs, they'll probably be getting some attention from the RIAA.

13. sunday888 thread starter macrumors member

They are movies I ripped using Handbrake from DVDs I own. They're 3 movies (Serenity, House of Flying Daggers, Hero), each one about 2 hours long, and an Eric Clapton concert DVD, about 90 minutes. The "home" movies are created from .mov files exported by QT Pro to the iPod default .m4v setting. The music videos are purchased from iTunes.

14. stealthman1 macrumors regular

710 songs, which I guess includes the 11 one hour podcasts and two audio books.
    20 videos, 18 music videos and 2 films with a total run time of 3.5 hours.
    1159 photos.
    1.9gb free space.
    Sure I'd like 16gb, but I can surely manage on 8 and if I needed to 4gb would have been sufficient, I'd load it like my shuffle for music and trim a few photos. Still would leave me hours of video. If I'm going to be out of the house longer than it takes to watch an entire season of South Park, I'll have my MBP.:) The Visual Hub setting for iPhone is marvelous!

15. defeated macrumors regular

shouldn't be surprised, the number is there, you can do calculation without putting your hands on an iPhone at all.

yes, even 4G is a big enough number for musics, but since iPhone is marketed as a "video iPod+phone+internet device", you are absolutely right to think

16. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

Have I told you how much I love you? :p

No, seriously. But I am in great like of you for sharing this. People have dissed the iPhone for lacking this, that or the other, but these apps are just a tiny bit of what's so exciting. I'm sure there are greater apps to come from Apple themselves, so the iPhone will just keep getting better and better!

17. sJv macrumors regular

I currently have on my 8GB:

1150 songs
    5 movies
    14 music videos
    40 pictures

the videos I ripped myself using Handbrake for the iPod.

Since the screen resolution isn't very high, I would be sure to transcode any video down to the resolution of the screen. It shrinks the file sizes down. A 2 hour movie is approximately 400MB.

-steve

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I have kept all music off my iPhone and kept it to my iPod...saves me a LOT of space.

Outside of that, I don't see any real reason why I will ever come close to filling up my 8 gigs.

I think I will be application happy when they come up but 8 gigs worth of applications? I don't think so :D

19. Okiewan, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited: May 14, 2013

Okiewan macrumors member

20. esco macrumors 6502

esco

My 8GB iPhone currently has 442 songs, 8 TV Shows, and 1 Movie on there. I'm catching up on 24, House, Studio 60, and Eureka, so I just sync the next 2 episodes of each TV Show to my iPhone (all of which are iTunes bought). In addition, I always keep a movie on there just in case, usually Old School, Anchorman, or a movie similar to it.

21. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

So... you don't want music and what not on your iPhone... and you don't plan on filling up 8GB worth of apps in the future... Why did you get the 8GB model? :confused: The 4GB sounds like it would be more than enough for you. Don't you think you just wasted $100?

22. defeated macrumors regular

lol, iPhone has no expansion slot, so its always good to know you have extra space. Better be safe than (then) sorry

23. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Not at all. I plan on putting a boat-load of documents on my iphone in the future when I have the ability to.

I am a lawyer. Lots, Lots, and Lots of documents.

Add in that I might add some games, ringtones, insane amount of mail, ext....

8 gigs is perfect for me.