"You can daisy-chain as many as six devices, including your display"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by monaarts, Feb 24, 2011.

1. monaarts macrumors 65816

So is there a Thunderbolt out on the Cinema Displays?? I am VERY confused about this.

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

Thunderbolt and mini-display use the same port.

3. man02195 macrumors regular

backward compatible? so my 27" cinema display was built with thunderbolt?

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

What they mean is that you can put the display on the end of a chain. So you could have five external HDs (once they've launched, with a pair of TB ports on each) and then the display sits on the end, terminating the chain.

EDIT: And because TB is compatible with MDP, the 27/24" ACDs will work, or other displays via the MDP adapters.

5. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand this... But you can't daisy-chain a display unless it has an output port to daisy-chain to the next device.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Firewire peripherals that are designed with daisy chaining in mind have 2 firewire ports.

im assuming it will be the same for Thunderbolt peripherals. but the MacBook Pro only has 1x TB in and the cinema display TB out.

7. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

There we go! Gotcha! Also, can you access the USB ports on the back of the display if you use the Thunderbolt? Meaning, if you have 1 wire (thunderbolt) plugged into the back of the display and you also have an external drive plugged into the USB port on the back of the display, can you now access the external drive?

- Joe

8. peskaa, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Alas no.
    The 27" uses a USB breakout for the hub. So to use the USB hub in the ACD, you need to plug the breakout in to a USB port on the machine. Not ideal unfortunately, as I can envisage cables not reaching (the USB breakout is very short, and if your TB chain is long and is essentially acting as an extension cable for the display, USB won't reach)

Okay, see my terrible diagram.

Mac on the right, 5 devices chained to the TB port, and the display on the left. The two cables coming out the display (MDP and USB) are the same length in real life - so the MDP will reach the externals, but the USB is too short to reach the USB port on the Mac. You'd lose the USB hub on the ACD at this point, unless you use a USB extension cable to make it reach.

Attached Files:

• tb.jpg
      tb.jpg
      File size:
      192.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

But presumably when the displays are next refreshed, they'll change this so that everything goes through TB/MDP. No help to people that already own a display, obviously, but great for those buying a new MBP + display.

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You've got to find six devices which use Thunderbolt first. ;)

11. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

If you daisy chain devices and a display (with one displayport), just make the display the last item in the chain. Was that really difficult to figure out?

12. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Zing! :)

With Apple and Intel behind it, I'm sure the devices will be on the way soon. I'd love a Thunderbolt RAID5 enclosure from OWC. 8 bay, if you're listening OWC!

13. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Hm, possibly, but that'll need to have all Macs refreshed to TB before they do it, otherwise there will be a bunch of grumpy users. Plus I don't know if TB can provide USB functionality or not!

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I guess some kind of docking stations will show up once this new I/O is established. It is the perfect connection for a docking station because you can forward any protocol. Hope they aren't too expensive.

Dasiy Chaining for anything but mulitple Displays (which works with DisplayPort 1.2 too) is not going to be very usefull because there will be few external harddrives with input + output. A docking station or a docking hub is much better imo and more convenient.

15. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Most FireWire externals had input/output ports for chaining, so it'll happen. USB has never supported it full stop.

16. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Seriously? Your gonna be a smart ass because I wasn't sure about something that was released an hour ago? All I was basically asking was if the :apple:CD had a TB in port in the back of it because I currently don't own one but was thinking about getting it for my MBA and I was thinking about future use with it incase I get a MBP or a MP. I'm sorry not everyone is like you and never has to ask questions.

17. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

This is just like SCSI! You can Daisy-Chain! yay!

18. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

So I have a question that I'll ask here.

Someone said TB and mini-display use the same port. So I don't need a TB adapter to use an external monitor? I can just use a regular Mini Display adapter and it will plug right in?

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yup.

20. rsykes77 macrumors newbie

Thunderbolt compatibility (backwards compatible)

According to Intel's website:

This high-speed data transfer technology features the following:
    Thunderbolt cables

Dual-channel 10 Gbps per port
    Bi-directional
    Dual-protocol (PCI Express* and DisplayPort*)
    Compatible with existing DisplayPort devices
    Daisy-chained devices
    Electrical or optical cables
    Low latency with highly accurate time synchronization
    Uses native protocol software drivers
    Power over cable for bus-powered devices

I think that means all devices that have Displayport are Thunderbolt ready??

21. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Well that's convenient, at least.

22. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Smart ass? You seemed to know what you were talking about when you posted "But you can't daisy-chain a display unless it has an output port to daisy-chain to the next device." Instead of asking a question like "how do I use a device with only one port", someone less informed than you might have taken your post as fact, scary as it sounds.

23. joshuastar macrumors newbie

this sounds perfect for what i need. TB to an external HD, then out to an HDMI adapter for my TV!