You can download Apple Service Discs, and OS 9????

Discussion in 'macOS' started by todd2000, May 29, 2008.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Am I missing something here? I found this page http://www.info.apple.com/discimages/ and it would seem that you can DL the Service Discs that they use in the Stores to diagnose machines, and if you click on drop down menu at the top and select Mac OS CDs, it would seem you can DL OS 9? Is there something Im missing, this page isn't exactly hidden, I just had to log-in with my Apple ID, and bam it let me in?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Must be a database error, since it is letting you into the AppleCare Service Provider area with a simple support site password.

I'd assume people could abuse this loophole until it is closed, though grabbing the service pdf for the computer I have might be helpful in the future.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

looks like Apple sorted it out. theres now a login.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The problem wasn't the login screen, it was allowing anyone with a Apple ID in.

5. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm interesting, Safari is still letting me in without having to log-in again, but Firefox is asking for a log-in, and my Apple ID doesn't work anymore. GLad I grabbed the Service Disc for my iMac while I could :) I guess I should grab anything else before Safari's cookies expire :) Although I don't really want anything else.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

oh whoops! :eek: i really should of read all the original post

well my Apple ID doesnt work

"This Apple ID has been disabled for security reasons."

7. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Interesting when I try in Firefox it doesn't give me that error, it just doesn't work, and prompts for a password again, doesn't even give an error. It's still loading in Safari without asking for a log-in at all, I guess it must be cookies.

8. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm I restarted and tried again, and Safari asked me for my log-in again, I entered my Apple ID, and it let me in again, my friend also tried, and it let him in too. It also works in Firefox for me now too. I wonder why it works for some and not for others?

9. Trip.Tucker Guest

That's standard. OS 9.x is EOL. You can also pull down 7.6 and 8.x images. I don't see the big deal you guys are making?

10. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't think your right about the 7.6 or 8.x images, but you definitely should NOT be able to DL the Apple Service Discs. That site shouldn't be letting normal people log in, but it is.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You can also pull down confidential Apple documents covered under the Apple Authorized Service Provider agreements along with the Service DVDs.

Along with reading the Service*News documents.

Don't know if the Apple ID problem is limited the AASP site or also extends to an issue with the Global Service Exchange server also.

12. Trip.Tucker Guest

I don't think this is an error on the system to be honest. 7, 8 and 9 have been available for some years.

13. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Your focusing on the OS, there are a LOT of other things on that site that normal users shouldn't have access to. I still don't think 7,8, and 9 have been available (legally) for years as you say. Show me where to DL 7, and 8, and 9 without logging into the support site? This is definitely an error since it's letting you DL Service Manuals, and all other kinds of stuff that regular users aren't supposed to have access too.

Case in Point: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=24782

Read the first 2 lines:

* RESTRICTED: Apple Internal and Support Providers Only *
    Not for General Public Release

I suggest people grab whatever they might want B4 Apple figues this out. I already got my Diagnostic Disc :) LOL

14. Trip.Tucker Guest

Whatever. I've seen it available for years.

15. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, maybe you've seen them for years (again I say show me where?), but that doesn't change the fact that Apple messed up, and is letting people access this site that shouldn't be able to. I just found a PDF of error codes for my iMac, and it has "APPLE CONFIDENTIAL" plastered all over it. :)