You can jailbreak 4.1 with redsn0w

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ohaithar, Sep 1, 2010.

1. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Note: I tried a iPhone 3G with this, so iunno if this will work with the 3Gs or the iPhone 4

Anyway you will need
    The latest version of redsn0w
    the 4.0 restore ipsw
    A iPhone 3G with 4.1 GM installed (Don't ask where I got it)

and everything seems to be ok, but the cydia icon will appear white though.

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Not surprising since you can JB 4.0.2 on 2G / 3G too. At this point, think Apple has given up on 3G, similar to 2G.

3. CC424 macrumors regular

4. AaronE macrumors 6502

There was a away to fix the white icon on the 3G back when the 4.0 GM came out. I forget what it was, but you had to add a repo to cydia and it fixed everything.

5. ohaithar thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Don't worry about it.

6. ohaithar thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Ok, sorry for the double post, but for those on 4.1, don't jailbreak it yet! Wait for an official release.

Cydia won't update it's database, and the iPhone, when you try to turn it off, it will go to the spiny ball thing, and will go back to the lockscreen, so basically you can't turn it off.

But multitasking and wallpapers (activated via redsnow) works fine

7. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

just Google for it not that hard...

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Given these factors, I don't see how you can declare it a jailbreak, more of a firmware breaker.

The operation was a success but the patient died type result. :eek:

9. ohaithar thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Well it was a partial jailbreak
    More like crippled

10. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Gosh those are 2 reasons to jailbreak.... lol

11. umeshgaire macrumors newbie

Download All of the 4.1 BETA VERSIONS

please go here.. to download the 4.1 beta versions

http://download.imodzone.net/:D

12. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I don't htink this posting of the firmware is the best idea. There's lots of people who jailbroke for the first time since jailbreakme was so easy, and they may think they'll keep their jailbreak on 4.1 which isn't the case. It's not fully functional as they're used to in 4.1 so probably a good idea to preface it with that, even if the link is allowed on this board (not sure of MR's policy on posting unauthorized firmware releases)....

Out of curiosity, is apple still requiring Dev account with UDID on file, or are they allowing the 4.1 GM to be installed on any device now? LOL, I should have put that question in a follow-up post, huh? hahah

13. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Good analogy.

The other thing noted is that the OP said it was on a iPhone 3G, which means Apple isn't really controlling the device or FW updates anymore, so the result may be dramatically different on iOS 4...

Bottom line, it's too risky until one of the Dev Team Members gives their blessing, which I'd guess won't be until 4.1 (or maybe even 4.2) is in the wild... I'm putting my chips on 4.2 since we know 4.1 won't unify iPad and iPhone, so save the exploit for the unification release in November. My i4 is JB'd so I'm happy with it for a couple months. I don't need the HD-Photo-Gimmick THAT bad.... but Kudos to Apple marketing team for coming up with a funny "new feature" and a unique way to present it as a "feature" lol ... I guess better stupid features than no new features.

:)

14. bhattsan macrumors member

Once a firmware hits GM, it usually doesn't change for the official public release (unless they discover some major bug), so they stop checking for device UDIDs.

15. DarkCloud2015 macrumors member

DarkCloud2015

I hope they don't wait for 4.2, my 3G really needs the performance boost. If I have to live with the stuttering any longer, I just might sell a kidney or something to get an i4.

16. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Cool yeah I always love new versions so hope they do release a jb for it :)