You can now bring your jailbroken iPhone to the genius bar

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AndrewR23, Oct 22, 2015.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Ive confirmed this at the San Francisco, Sacramento, and Irvine Apple store.

Apples jailbreaking policy is no longer "JB and the warranty is voided" its basically now "Apple needs to prove JB is causing the error"

So I took my iPhone 6 (fully themed and jailbroken) in 3 times at these stores (all together, not each) because my front camera is moving. The genius did not care one bit about the JB, bc a JB cannot cause the front camera to move.

So this could be good news. Just prove the JB did not cause whatever you are taking your phone in for.

2. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

If they don't honor the warranty on a clearly defective piece of hardware (which has nothing to do with software), then that's just wrong on them.

I would turn off any obvious tweaks so they don't disregard you from the start. Then hope they don't care when they find out.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Do you know how long this new policy has been in place?

It would explain to me the attitude of the genius I spoke with about a month ago when replacing my screen. A cracked screen with no Applecare+ is not a warranty issue. And I'm guessing that when they had me restore my iPhone and it bootlooped that they couldn't prove jailbreak was the issue either.

Interesting. I'd love to see the actual text of the policy.

4. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

For the SF and Sac stores, I have known for a month but wanted to confirm it with one more store which I did with Irvine.

With my situation, software cannot make the camera move. I never turned off any tweaks when I gave it to them for screen replacements.

5. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Also, I did a online chat with Apple support last night about my home button being very loose. They sent me diagnostics which showed my phone was JB.

I told her a JB does not make my home button loose and she said true, and asked if I wanted a replacement.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's great news.
    But you're still risking getting the wrong Apple rep and having to fight and argue and such nonsense.
    Off course a hardware issue like that would never be caused from a reversible software jb but some of them people see the jb as the devil.

7. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

They've usually been pretty decent already with jailbreaks, they could actually blacklist you or something if you brought in a jailbroken device for support but they obviously don't do that. I've found the geniuses to be pretty cool with it but it's probably more of a case to case basis so this official support might make it even better.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't think they can do that. Only a carrier can submit an IMEI for blacklisting. It's a completely different database that Apple has no control over (unlike the unlock database) and no access to.

They could deny warranty however. Or at least, that was the policy until now.

9. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

that's called the magnusson-moss warranty act if im not mistaken

10. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

I didn't mean blacklisting the device but rather refusing to offer any software support at all if you're jailbroken.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ahh, got you. Yes, they can do that. I've heard tales of JB devices being noted in whatever system Apple uses and then people being denied warranty later on.

Things seem to be very different now.

12. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

in arizona they have never had an issue when i brought in mine all the back from iPhone3g. I've brought in basically every model over the years and its gotten a few mentions before but never an issue...ive been jailbreaking basically every year since 2009