You Can Now Order Food From Papa John's, Five Guys, and More Within Facebook on iOS

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Facebook today announced that you can now order food directly from within the Facebook app on iOS. Alex Himel, Facebook's vice president of local, explained that food ordering and delivery has "gotten complicated" within other apps and services, so the company aims to streamline that process by adding it to Facebook.

Like other newly added services -- including local weather and jobs search -- "Order Food" will now be on the Explore tab of the Facebook iOS app. Facebook said this section of its app combines options from "a number of food ordering services" and accumulates them into one place. This way, you'll be able to browse restaurants near you that take orders from EatStreet, Zuppler, Slice, Delivery.com, DoorDash, ChowNow, and Olo.

[​IMG]

You'll also be able to order food directly from Jack in the Box, Five Guys, Papa John's, Wingstop, TGI Friday's, Denny's, El Pollo Loco, Chipotle, Jimmy John's, and Panera, as well as some "local spots."
    Using Facebook's social aspects, you can check out restaurant reviews on their pages, and see if your own friends have left reviews before you order. Once you find the restaurant you want to order from, it'll say if it has takeout or delivery, and from there you can choose which of the food ordering services that the location supports.

Facebook said existing accounts with these services will be supported, and if you don't yet have an account you can sign up for Delivery.com, DoorDash, or any of the previously listed services without leaving Facebook.

Facebook's Order Food option in the Explore tab is rolling out now to everyone in the United States on iOS, Android, and desktop.

Article Link: You Can Now Order Food From Papa John's, Five Guys, and More Within Facebook on iOS

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

They're adding everything to this app. Soon you'd be able to check Facebook within it.

3. Hater macrumors 6502

Hater

Try being a girl on FaceBook - You get Five Guys every time you log onto Messenger, that functionality has been around since the platform launched. :(

4. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

As much as I dislike FB and messenger, I definitely like this idea. Having to download an app and create an account for every restaurant is getting out of control. My "restaurants" folder is already up to 18 apps!

5. Sharkoneau macrumors 6502a

Sharkoneau

Why not just order through a browser though? You can still use your accounts. It would save space on your device!

6. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

And none support Apple Pay which is even worst lol

7. marty1980 macrumors 6502

F* that! I get why some people would appreciate this type of feature, but I get creeped out enough with Facebook I don't want them having (and selling) data on where and when I order food. I'll just order from a separate app or the website or call. No thanks!

8. timber macrumors regular

Logging with a Google or Facebook account solves that issue.

9. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Facebook obviously financially benefits if they can get you to conduct as much of your life as possible through their website.

Feel free to keep giving them all the details about your life.

10. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I’m convinced FB is trying to push us back to the days of AOL: you do EVERYTHING in FB. Email, web browse, play games, chat with friends.

11. gatearray macrumors 65816

Yep, and Apple themselves opened the door for this kind of nonsense when they inexplicably baked Facebook directly into iOS back in 2012. Forestall probably objected, and that's why they really fired him.

12. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

13. Bella0101 macrumors newbie

Bella0101

14. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

exactly! this app is bloated already.

you trying to push your new album?

15. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

To paraphrase the old saying: When you order food via Facebook, you are on the menu.

16. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

A lot of guys do. :D

17. saudade macrumors regular

saudade

18. lec0rsaire macrumors 6502

Facebook is now officially the new America Online. When you think about it, it’s really just AOL with a different UI and no chat rooms.

19. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Why are these things always the ********* junk food on the planet? Denny’s? Really? Papa Johns? No thanks!

20. nnoble macrumors 6502

This is great news. All I have to do is open a Facebook account, move to the USA, find out about Papa John (a retired pope?) and then get gourging.

21. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

They are taking ideas from wechat (chinese facebook app) and slowly adding them in. next will be uber, lyft, movie tickets, pay your phone bill, buy stocks, travel tickets ect.

22. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I like my Jimmy John's app. Why would I start using Facebook just for that when I try to stay clear of Facebook the rest of the time?

As for Five Guys, I'm not ordering just so I can have soggy cold fries delivered. If you don't have them fresh and piping hot, they're not worth eating. And their burgers are the worst. Unless you're really into old shoe leather.

23. Macaholic868 macrumors regular

Macaholic868

It’ll be a frosty day in Hell when I order something from Pappa John’s.

24. LastName macrumors member

Absolutely amazing. Facebook continues to add feature after feature that no one cares about.