You Can Now Pay Friends Through Facebook Messenger Using PayPal

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last year, PayPal launched within Facebook Messenger as a way for users to shop and complete payments directly through the messaging app. Today, the two companies are expanding the focus of this feature and opening up peer-to-peer payments for Facebook Messenger users who have linked their PayPal account to the app.

With a rollout starting today, Facebook Messenger users will be able to tap on the blue plus icon within the app, then select the green Payments button, and choose PayPal to send money. This functionality will work in one-on-one conversations, as well as in group texts. PayPal said this will make it easy to split a bill, pay rent, and more.

[​IMG]

Although PayPal's press release doesn't specify, the company's image depicting the new feature confirms that a user's PayPal balance and linked banking accounts can be chosen for P2P payments in Facebook Messenger.
    There will also be a new PayPal customer service bot for Messenger, letting PayPal customers receive account support without leaving Facebook's app. Specifically, with the company's bot PayPal users will be able to reset passwords, ask for help with refunds or payment issues, and other general account inquiries.

PayPal's new P2P solution in Facebook Messenger is debuting ahead of Apple Pay Cash, which still has an unclear launch date in a future update to iOS 11. When it releases, Apple Pay Cash will let users send money to one another within Apple's Messages app.

Article Link: You Can Now Pay Friends Through Facebook Messenger Using PayPal

2. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I wonder if PayPal will allow chargebacks. It could be an issue either way.

3. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

4. PG(Austin) macrumors regular

PG(Austin)

Oh lord..Facebook involved with your wallet? PayPal is bad enough....but Facebook? Whew!

5. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

I hate what facebook is trying to become. I don't want them curating my news feed, handling my payments, or forcing me to download multiple apps just to communicate with my friends.

6. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

You may hate it but it's working wonderfully for them and the vast majority of members love it.

7. wayne0101 macrumors newbie

wayne0101

Facebook is trying to become the "WeChat" of the free world.

8. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

According to the pic, there's no fee for PP balance or connected banks.

9. Kes.Siebring macrumors member

Kes.Siebring

10. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Why not just go straight to PayPal? The fewer parties I can have involved in my transactions, the better.

11. kukhuvud macrumors newbie

If only there was a Paypal app we could use instead.

Oh, wait.

12. Jimios macrumors member

Jimios

13. fairuz, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017

fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Heck no. I've already been ****ed badly enough with that when trying to convert back to USD due to issues with the exchanges. Give it some time to mature.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2017 ---
    PayPal is a huge hassle of a service. It's really meant for sales with strangers. So this might make it easier to sell stuff on Facebook pages for certain communities. Wouldn't ever use it with my friends.

14. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Strong Arm tactics usually work best from the arm that holds the hand providing such a tactic ;)

But this wouldn't help push the economy further nor strengthen the conglomerate that is offering it.

I think I will finally be done with FaceBook ... killing it off. Real friends stay in touch, I don't use Tinder nor any other services that require FaceBook.