Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday released new firmware for the second and third-generation Siri Remotes, and the update appears to enable the tvOS 17 feature that is designed to allow an iPhone to locate a misplaced Apple TV remote.

siri-remote-find-my.jpg

With the new firmware, tvOS 17, and iOS 17, if a Siri Remote becomes lost, the Apple TV remote control available in the Control Center on an iPhone can be used to locate the missing remote.

Users will see a Find My-like interface that guides them toward the remote, with the size of the onscreen circle increasing to guide movement in the correct direction.

Find My for the Siri Remote is available on the second and third-generation Siri Remotes. The updated firmware is necessary, and there is no established method for getting the Siri Remote to update. The Apple TV will need to be up to date, on, and connected to the Siri Remote to initiate, but there is no way to force the new firmware to download.

Prior to the launch of the latest Apple TV 4K, there were rumors that Apple would build Find My functionality into the Siri Remote. That didn't happen, but this new tvOS 17 option is essentially the same thing. The new Siri Remote feature has not been available previously as it required new firmware to function.

Locating the remote through the Control Center is possible because of deeper integration between the iPhone and the iPad with the tvOS 17 and iOS 17 updates. Locating the Siri Remote is a feature that is limited to the Apple TV 4K models released in 2021 and 2022.

Article Link: You Can Now Use Your iPhone to Find a Lost Siri Remote in tvOS 17 and iOS 17

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
OK, I found this confusing and had to look it up. The article could really have been clearer about this.

The name "Siri Remote" applies to both the weird and awful touchpad version of the ATV remote (version 1), and to the current chunkier metal one with the wheel (versions 2 and 3). So, any remote that looks like this will now have Find My integration.

apple-tv-4k-2nd-gen.png

Last edited:

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
Aw shucks, I don’t have a 4K Apple TV. But then, I don’t have a 4K TV. 1080 P is good enough for me. So I’ll have to try harder to locate my Apple TV remote. The kids and grandkids have long been mandated not to take a remote out of the room where the TV it belongs to is located. That’s one of our household Commandments or else I’d be looking for it for a year and never find it.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
To update the remote I essentially turned on the Apple TV with the remote, placed the recently charged remote on top of the box and waited half an hour.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Here we go again with praying to the Apple gods and sacrificing our Androids to hope the firmware updates

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.