"You can only read", even though all privileges are set to Read & Write

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Andra, May 16, 2010.

1. Andra macrumors newbie

I was trying to write xmp data to my photo's, when I got errors on photo's in certain folders.

‘Writing XMP Metadata’ did not complete successfully

It seems all jpegs in a few particular folders have generate this error. I then noticed all those files were lacking a creation date. When trying to copy the "image taken on" date to the "creation date", using A Better Attributes, I didn't appear to have the right permissions.
    Now this is, to me at least, the weirdest part: when I open Get Info on any of the images, it says "You can only read", even though all privileges are set to Read & Write (screenshot attached). The folder itself says "You can read and write".

So far I've only seen this on files/folders on an external hard drive, formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). It's a WD My Book, connected via USB through a hub.

Anyone ever seen this before? Is there anything I could try to fix this? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Yours,
    Andra

Attached Files:

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Click on the cogwheel down arrow - You need to set permissions for the folder *and all the enclosed files*.

"Apply to enclosed items" is the setting you want.

3. Andra thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved: "Locked" was checked for these files

It turned out it wasn't caused by permissions, but by the locked checkmark (the one at the *top* of the Get Info window). :rolleyes:

Apparently I locked these files, probably to secure them against removal. I probably did this when the files still lived on a PC. When they were copied, OSX wasn't able to write a Creation Date, so it was left blank.

Anyways: thank you t0mat0 for your suggestion.

Lesson learned.