You can press the Touch ID like a button.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alex00100, Jan 14, 2017.

1. alex00100 macrumors regular

Many people are saying about how wobbly the touch id is but I heard no one mention that you can actually press the Touch ID like a button. Is everyone's macbook like that? Is it an actual button or a manufacturing issue?

2. 911_Turbo_S macrumors newbie

911_Turbo_S

It is actually like that. The Touch ID doubles as a power button.

3. alex00100 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a setting for that? Mine doesn't do anything.

4. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Yes, the Touch ID button doubles as the physical power button. You can press it down to turn the computer on/off just like you could with the power button on previous models.

If you don't have a finger print sensor notification after opening up the computer, you probably haven't setup a finger print yet. Go to System Preferences and Touch ID to set it up.

I suppose I should also mention that on my previous late-2016 15" MBP that power button was extremely wobbly. I replaced that machine with a 13" tMBP and the power button isn't wobbly at all. So it's definitely not an issue with all machines.

5. Cache macrumors regular

What do you mean it doesnt do anything? If the macbook is off it will turn on when you press the button.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Power your computer off and leave the lid open. Now press & click the Touch ID button.

7. alex00100 thread starter macrumors regular

OK thanks everyone! It does turn on the computer. I was trying to power off the computer with it, it didn't do that.

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

It acts like a normal power button. Holding it down shuts the computer off for when it's frozen.

9. kapps macrumors newbie

Yep, I had a Finder freeze and had to go onto my iPhone to search out how the heck to force the MBP to shut down. Can confirm... Touch ID button moves down when pressed and acts like power button.

10. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

Are you just now finding this out? It's the power button.