You can return your iPhone 3G if bought after May 8th

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KidFresh, Jun 9, 2009.

1. KidFresh macrumors regular

(The following probably only applies to a small minority.)

With the scheduled release of 3GS on June 19th, anyone who bought and signed a new iPhone 3G contract on or after May 8th, 2009 can still upgrade to a 3GS at new customer pricing.

AT&T has extended the standard 30-day return policy for those that are "qualified". However, you will still be charge the standard 10% restocking fee for your recently-purchased phone AND an $18 upgrade fee (for a 3GS).

I bought my iPhone 3G on May 14th. Today, I went into an AT&T store to pre-order the 32GB 3GS for $299 plus tax. On June 19th, I will be able pick up my 3GS and return and receive a refund (minus 10%) for the 3G.

Hope this helps.

2. KidFresh thread starter macrumors regular

Just a thought... What would happen if I say that I had "lost" the 3G and return empty-handed on the 19th?

3. Branskins macrumors 65816

You wouldn't be able to get the new one?

4. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I have the First gen, and I am required to pay an Activation, and Upgrade fee. Both are 18 dollars.

I'm going to call and ask them to waive the Fees since we have been with at&t for a long time.

5. ObscureOne macrumors newbie

:( I picked mine up on May 7th! Perhaps some cajoling may work at the store? I really wish that they would let you know there was change coming soon.

6. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I know this from experience.

If you go in there with a GOOD attitude, be VERY nice, they will probably help you out.

They have the ability to, that much I know.

They can waive the full price and give someone the subsidized price if they wan't to. I have had it done for me before and that was when I did not work for the company and did not know the sales guy.

7. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

Awesome, Thanks for the info.

one question, so I will have to preorder and pay the $299 again first?

As long as they refund the initial $299 that will be fine.

8. ObscureOne macrumors newbie

Of course it would have to be handled that way. :p I just wondered if it could be done. That's good to know. Would you recommend going in prior to release date?

Thanks for answering.:)

Edited to add: I purchased at AT&T Store. Should I go back there, or to an Apple store for best results?

9. ken987 macrumors member

Curious.
    My friend just bought an iPhone 3g 8GB 12 days ago. The ATT person told her at the store there was no new phone coming out. LOL
    So what are her options. She is a long time customer and had no contract so of course she upped hers for the 2 years...now the phone is $100 cheaper...
    Is her best option to go back to the store and get a price match? Is that even done? Or should she do phone and sweetly tell her story and see what they give her? I was thinking she should call retentions and tell them she feels foolish for being duped by the guy in the store...then mention the PRE since she does not have a contract technically. Any help is appreciated.

10. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Not sure on these.

My experience with AT&T is that doing stuff "early" usually results in being bummed on the day of, because the person I am dealing with forgets to note my account or whatever.

And I would go back to the AT&T store personally. If it was that recent, try and get the same person you dealt with last time if they were cool.

(Note: I have no experience in buying anything at the Apple store outside of my Incase Slider, so I am by no means an Apple Store Expert.)

11. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Personally, if I were them, I would go to where I purchased the phone and just talk to them and see if they can work it out.

But threats such as going to the Pre should only be a last resort.

Most of the time, they don't care about those threats at all because you are just 1 in a line of gosh knows how many contracts, so to speak.

12. KidFresh thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I had to swipe my card when I pre-ordered. However, it does say on my receipt that I will only be charged when the phone is shipped.

13. KidFresh thread starter macrumors regular

If they can't refund her the difference, rightfully return the phone for a full refund. Then buy again at the current price. Or, if she chooses to, she can hold on to the 3G until the 19th, return it, and get the 3GS at new customer pricing.