Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
You can test any IR remote with your iPhone just look at the IR part of your remote with the camera on your iPhone and you can see the lights if the remote works.

I have a video here

I know alot of people know about this already but im sure there are some people that don't, this also works with any digital camera or webcam. So yes you can use your isight

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I'll have to try that out later. I didn't realize a digital camera would pick up any infra-red, that seems odd to me.

It's pretty normal, most CCD-based cameras can pick up at least some infrared light. Many camcorders and standalone digital cameras can do this as well.

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
You can use your iPhone to test out lightbulbs too. Just turn the light on, then take a picture of it. If it looks like it's on in the picture, then it's working.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
You can use your iPhone to test out lightbulbs too. Just turn the light on, then take a picture of it. If it looks like it's on in the picture, then it's working.

This also works to fine out if it is daylight out. Just point your iPhone at the sun and take a picture.

The Stig

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
reminds me of this engadget article about a company that's making shirts imprinted with stuff only digital cameras can pick up. it's quite interesting.

ha thats the article that made me remember this, when I saw it I was like "I wonder if everyone remembers you can use your iPhone to test remotes.".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.