you can use your laptop without it's battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mdwsta4, Nov 22, 2008.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

The cons really outweigh the pros of removing the battery. The best thing to do is keep the battery in at all times, but aim to keep it on charge as much as possible - if the battery charge drops below 95%, it will start charging. Aim to do that as much as possible.

For example, i use my macbook on battery during the most mornings and on charge/charging up in the evenings.
    Another tip to increase battery life is to calibrate the battery monthly. Hope this helps.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If you remove your battery your computer will slow the processor down to half speed to avoid drawing more power than is available to it. This will definitely slow down the system (noticeably) for pretty much anyone, not to mention that if you accidently bump the plug in the computer and it disconnects the internals of your computer will be at a higher risk for failure as they did not have ample time to shut off properly. In other words, don't do it, all batteries decrease in capacity over time, while taking it out of the computer might slow the process, it is not significant enough for you to have to suffer through the consequences of you doing it. Just buy a new battery when your current one doesn't satisfy you anymore, it's not too big of a deal.

4. kolax macrumors G3

You can, but there isn't much point to be honest - you can't get full performance, as Engadget noted.

However, Engadget make it seem like it is a new thing. This has always been the case..

5. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Storing Li-ion or Li-polymer batteries at a high level of charge, along with heat, are the two main killers of this sort of battery.

Removing the battery and storing it somewhere cool and dry (not the fridge, I don't know what the condensation could do to it when it is removed), and have it at about 40% charge level, while every few months, doing a full discharge/recharge cycle and then discharging the battery to about 40% again. That's the best you can do.

6. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

It might kill them quicker, but short term charge and battery time should be better.

If you read the article the OP posted, it says that the performance of the laptop drops when there is no battery attached. I guess it depends wether you prefer saving battery life or having good performance; i know i'd go with better performance.

New batteries can be bought after a year or two anyway.

7. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

I wouldn't want a 40% performance loss, so keep it plugged in. Especially with Magsafe being as wonky as it is, you're going to suffer if you accidentally unplug.