You cannot use the application "xxxx" with this version of Mac OS X.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nporceddu, Apr 27, 2012.

1. nporceddu macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I don't know much about computers at all (so please excuse me for asking a dull question but I would really appreciate someone's help!)

I've just switched on my Desktop MAC after a few years of being away and I downloaded and installed Google Chrome and the latest version of Firefox and I was given the msg You cannot use the application "xxxx" with this version of Mac OS X.

Yes, I've had it a few years, but is it already so ancient that I can't update any of the software on it?

I am willing to spend $ if I need update hardware, but I don't want to go out and buy a new computer!

This is what I'm working with:

Mac OS X Version 10.4.11
    Processor 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
    SMC Version: 1.9f4

2. simsaladimbamba

3. nporceddu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot!
    I'll go into the store and buy it tomorrow. I checked it out on the online store and I'm wondering whether I can take it one step further and also upgrade to the Lion? Would you recommend that or can I be satisfied with Snow Leopard?

4. simsaladimbamba

As you have this or this iMac, the maximum RAM amount you can use with it is 4 GB of 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM. Mac OS X 10.7 Lion works with that.

PS: Apple Retail Stores don't sell Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVDs anymore, the Apple Online Store is one of the only places you can get it. Amazon might be another option.

PPS: To upgrade to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, you need Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

5. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

It might be possible to go to the genius bar and have them upgrade you to Snow Leopard.

Another option is this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256Z/A

That's the Lion installer. It's more than Snow Leopard, but you can buy it in stores.

Some may point out that Lion is only supposed to be used as an upgrade from Snow Leopard. So if you don't have SL installed, then you're violating the EULA.
    I'm not debating that.

But the OP said he was on 10.4.
    Snow Leopard is only supposed to be used as an upgrade from 10.5. So buying if you don't have 10.5, then you're violating the EULA of Snow Leopard.

The only way to happily follow all of the license agreements would be to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5 to 10.6.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not unless you own/purchase a copy. Since they don't sell it in stores, this ain't happening.

Not true. Snow Leopard could be legally installed over Tiger (10.4). It's only Lion that requires the previous OS.

jW

7. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I just checked and we're both right.

There are 3 licenses for Snow Leopard:
    Upgrade (which requires 10.5)
    Single User (which doesn't mention a requirement for previous versions)
    Family (which is single user for multiple machines).

8. estrides macrumors regular

estrides

In all honesty I would recommend getting Snow Leopard and avoid Lion. My personal opinion, I think Snow Leopard is a better OS in general. Lion, on the surface,is just Snow Leopard with minimal tweaks.

9. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Agreed. I'm not overly impressed with Lion. I use it on my laptop, but won't install it on my main machine.

10. N0k14 D14B10 macrumors newbie

N0k14 D14B10

The versions that you r useing are saddly outdated, buy snow leopard and up grade you RAM to fit your needs, really all you would need is 2gb more to run smoother , wich really is not exspensive, you should be just. Fine if you don't do any thing to graphics intensive :D

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yep, with the key that the Upgrade disks were never sold in stores. They were known as drop-in disks, and included in the box or shipped to customers who bought computers after Snow Leopard was released, but still had Leopard installed on them.

jW