Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
So, I realized you can't edit Quicktime's Screen recordings in anything but Quicktime (with it's AMAZING trim feature).

If you plan on splicing a bunch of separate videos and wanting to add narration later, you'll need a new screen capture app.

LittleBob68

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2008
I just saw this thread and opened FCE4 and Imovie9. I was able to import a screen capture from Quicktime into imovie but not into FCE4. That sucks and doesnt make any sense to me.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Is the QT X issues due to the Quicktime Player and the QT X API? Just looking at the Ars Technica review article, it seems the issues are through the changes Apple's been making.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
After you've finished your screen recording, from Quicktime X's menu, select:
File > Save as > Format = HD 480p, HD 720p, or HD 1080p

Then import into FCE.

Some of other formats may also work in FCE... experiment.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
After you've finished your screen recording, from Quicktime X's menu, select:
File > Save as > Format = HD 480p, HD 720p, or HD 1080p

Then import into FCE.

Some of other formats may also work in FCE... experiment.

AH! That's how. I figured it was an issue of FC barfing on the video being your screen res and not a normal video res.

Captain Slocum

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
I was having the same problem yesterday, spent much of the day experimenting, poor quality video when QT screen recording taken into FCPX.

This morning I did a software update and there were two, both QT/FCP related, including a codec update. (new iMac running Lion)

It seems to have made a difference (or I didn't do things right yesterday!)

Record High Qual in QT then import into FCPX and put into timeline
Scrub the clip and it looks fine. Play the clip and it looks blurred BUT
Export the clip from FCPX to YouTube (which is what I want to do to share training videos with my customers) using Large 540p and the result is very good - more than acceptable quality.

There may be other settings that work, I have only tried that one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.