"You can't restore this backup because it was created by a different model of mac"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, May 6, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

What am I supposed to do then? Migration assistant dosen't do what I need. For example, it didnt import my iphoto or itunes libraries. In fact, it looks like the only thing it imported was my applications, even though I selected everything.

I want to restore from the backup of my last MBP but apparently I can't? Whats the point then?

2. frenchie0101 macrumors 6502

its because when you have setup your new one you have used the same system name as the time machine backup, you would need to make sure the names are not identical, well thats what happened to me once and thats what i found out it to be

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

So how do I change the name on the time machine backup?
    And is this the best way to go about doing what I would like to do?

4. frenchie0101 macrumors 6502

what i ended up doing is reloading snow leopard and then use a complete random name on setup, then when my restore went through its already named how it should be.... there may be a quicker way but thats what i ended up doing.
    a pointer, once your backup has loaded, log out then log in with your restore then go to accounts in SP and delete the random account

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

So I did a complete clean install of Snow Leopard and am at the set up process. I chose "Transfer information from a Time Machine backup"

But it looks like all it is going to do is the same thing that Migration Assistant did, which dosen't seem to import things like itunes libraries and iphoto library...

This is frustrating. I know I can just import those types of things manually but there has to be a way to restore from a back up at set up.

6. seb-opp macrumors 6502

If its just iTunes and iPhoto then it shouldn't be too much trouble to do it manually. Copy the library content folders for each, then the actual library file... Actually thinking about it you could probably just copy the whole iTunes folder, and the same with iPhoto

7. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

It wont copy my documents folder either. The only thing it copies (even though I have EVERYTHING checked, is my applications).

8. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Can't you create a new account with a different name and do the restore? Then your original account will be restored (make sure you don't have an account on your computer with the same name).

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If it's that big of a deal, why not call Apple up? Is the new computer still within its 90 days of phone support?

10. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

"You can't restore this backup because it was created by a different model of mac"

If you had used either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to do your backups, you wouldn't be having this problem.

Your backup would be in "finder format", instantly mountable and readable. You could "copy by hand" whatever you needed from one drive to another.

Obviously, this illustrates yet another shortcoming of Time Machine.

Suggestion:
    THIS time, turn off Time Machine and use either CCC or SuperDuper to "clone" your drive and back it up. You will experience FAR fewer problems in the future by doing so.

And, once you make a clone, make sure you try booting from it, just to be sure it works!

11. frenchie0101 macrumors 6502

i dont think thats quite right, i had the exact same problem and all i did was like i said above create a random new account and then import my time machine back up it then restored with no problems i just then deleted the random account afterwards

12. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Well after doing a fresh install of Snow Leopard, the migration assistant worked flawlessly on first boot up.

13. ZTuned macrumors member

Had the same issue. Used SuperDuper! to clone my old Mac HD into an image file. Booted up the new MBP off the Install CD and restored the hard drive using Disk Utility with that disk image. Re-installed Snow Leopard and all was well.

First time I used the migration assistant it started hanging and got screwed up. Will use disk utility from now on...

14. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

That's exactly what I did and worked just fine. I cloned my MB via SuperDuper and made it bootable. Turned on my new 15" MBP and just followed migration assistant. Everything was correctly migrated to the new one without a problem .

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can browse a Time Machine volume by looking in the "Current" folder.